Skinny puppy assimilate

Twilight Circus! Awesome stuff. Ryan was always a lot of fun and a super nice guy.

It’s well known that cEvin Key had been a big fan of the Dots and pen pals with Edward. This probably has to do with that opening slot in '86. I for one am glad it happened. That show literally changed my life.

4 Likes

Me too! Been listening to ASF since hearing “RIP” on the Batcave comp in 1983/84.

2 Likes

He’s terrific and a wonderful musician too - I was so pleased for him when he started making dub and reggae albums with his Jamaican heroes too.

The Dots have been known to have that effect…

2 Likes

Indeed. Seeing Edward up there, alone evoking such an atmosphere with nothing but his voice, an Alpha Juno, and the simplest of backing tracks was a thunderbolt to my brain, and set me on a path that I’ve never left - and one that fostered and fulfilled lifelong dreams.

5 Likes

I am happy that noone mentions the questionable second Song I put as an example in the topic… Although I have to confess that I really like its beat :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if the thread i link below with @goatofneptune polyrhythm microtiming tables will help? I was using this info to do some odd time signature stuff and its awesome.

Polyrhythm Table for Micro Timings (Triplets, Quintets, etc.)

Ahhhh too much. LPD at the Underworld one time. Maybe the same gig… KaSpel’s gestures as I heard Princess Coldheart for the first time - that image is burned IN

1 Like

If we are talking Skinny Puppy and Pink Dots, we need to mention their collaboration The Tear Garden. Especially the albums “Tired Eyes Slowly Burning” and “The Last Man to Fly.” Incredible albums.

9 Likes

Indeed. I distinctly remember bringing home the first E.P., not long after seeing the aforementioned Ka-Spel performance. “Ophelia” quickly became (and remains) one of my favorite songs by anyone. A masterpiece.

5 Likes

Shockingly good albums. You’d be hard pressed to find too many albums that are more psychedelic, that’s for sure.

4 Likes

I had the distinct joy of hearing the embryonic lyrics to “The Running Man” (I think that was the one) firsthand from Edward himself, as he drank coffee on my couch during a stop on their second U.S. tour. :+1:

7 Likes

Did you get a chance to try out your triplets patterns?

And he crashed on MY couch in 1991! Another crazy thing Scot and I have in common…

Loving all the SP/LPD talk. cEvin Key was my inspiration to save up for my first instrument (an Emax 1) after high school. Have hung out with Nivek a few times too over the years, he’s a sweet guy. And super humble, considering he may be the most innovative male vocalist ever.

Back to the original topic, “Assimilate” is a timeless classic but “Hexonxonx” rocks the triplets hard as well… a waltz rhythm technically that shouldn’t work for IDM but somehow does.

6 Likes

Ditto. I ran into him at a horror convention in Hollywood, around '91. He was an eager horror fan looking to meet his horror movie heroes just like the rest of us. Super nice guy. And yeah - an innovative and oft-copied vocalist that gets better and better as the years go by.

4 Likes

Right here it is now seven in the morning. I will try it this evening!
Greetinga from Bavaria.

2 Likes

As @Scot_Solida said, set pattern length to a multiple of 12, the Elektron sequencer can definitely bang out these rhythms.
Here’s a Rytm jam that started out as an Assimilate cover

3 Likes

Ok now’s my chance: where to get started with Skinny Puppy? Only one album please🙏

1 Like

For me it’s a hard call between Too dark park and last rights… but if you held a giant syringe to my arm (reference intended :wink: ) I’d say Last Rights

4 Likes

This is one of my favourite records of all time. So heavy and yet so beautiful. The missing track 10 was a mystery for a long time and then when they first released it, it blew my mind. Sometimes I miss the old days when music was hard to find and you really had to dig to get records or info about bands.

1 Like

Last rights is great, yes track 10! Really inspired my younger self, also vivisect vi, rabies, the process( unaltered vocal! What!) maybe that doesn’t help, you could just start with smothered hope and go through the years or just skip around some lots of great stuff to dig… it

Also worth mentioning ohGr, a more accessible sound still some of the great odd appeal and was amazing live much like sp, cevin key on a the craziest eletrionic drum setup I’ve ever seen, it looked like a blown up modular, tim skold from kmfdm on bass and ohgr singing through multi layerd masks, one was like a pope type where the face was rigged to open, a monkey maybe a gas mask, it’s hard to remember and they were slowly peeled off throughout the show revealing more masks, still remember the theatrics and energy from those skinny puppy and ohgr shows, back then. A great live experience.

This music definitely inspired me into wanting to get into music creation so this is a cool thread, lots of great side projects too, great to see download get a mention.

Brap on

3 Likes