Single Cycle Waveforms with Octatrack

I’m using some SCW’s with OT but for some reason the most desirable note is already the lowest C out of the 2 octaves available.

I know that to be a C, the waveform has to be a specific number of samples long. Is that relevant here and is there anything I can do to have the same note shifted up an octave so it is more playable?

Also, is OT’s BPM calculation relevant? it just seems to default to 120 in the settings but doesn’t actually show a BPM for the sample.

Any help appreciated! :slight_smile:

heres a bunch tuned to C specifically for elektron boxes. I havent used them, just googled it cause I have a similar set somewhere on my hard drive. but this might be better

5 Likes

Ah yes, I already have these, thanks for pointing them out though! :slight_smile:

edit: After I stopped being lazy, I found this online. Might be useful to someone else so I’ll leave it here…

1 Like

I don’t think so, as you should disable Timestretch.

I think you can use AudioTerm to prepare things like that :

1 Like

I already use AudioTerm to prepare wavetables for Blofeld, i’ll take a closer look!

For now its sufficient to prepare files that are 674.25009 samples in duration, this will always play as a C2 (at 44100) but more importantly, it suits the OT better than C3, or at least it does for bass type of sounds. I’m not sure why the OT chromatic and midi mode have a different middle C to most other gear, weird choice.

Thanks for the input sezare56! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Me too, for Micromonsta now, and it has a simple tutorial for AudioTerm :
https://www.audiothingies.com/micromonsta/wavetable-tutorial/

You know Octachainer ?

The funniest is that C60 is named differently on OT (C4) and A4 (C5) (MKIs) ! :joy:

1 Like

I’ve just grabbed that new OctaChainer, I was still on 1.2. Looks like you can make matrix chains now!

Megabreack matrix chains yes ! Doesn’t seem to work above 16 split files unfortunately, from my last test after @sicijk noticed that issue. As the crossfader marks are divided in 16, it’s OK for me ! Megabreak is next level. If you are interested in, I made a test with an acid bassline :

1 Like

Ah thats good to know that limitation before I get started with this new software. I made my own matrix chain a couple of years back, using Ableton Live, but I’ve stayed away from them because it was quite a lot of work to do.

With OctaChainer it looks super easy so long as you have enough source material, I think I’ll be revisiting matrix chains soon! Thanks for pointing it out! :slight_smile:

So its 16x16 maximum without problems?

I think 16x64 or 64x16. :tongue:
It still warps my brain, have to test again !

Ah I guess I’ll find out soon enough. I’m guessing its 16 loops cut into 64 slices, things could get messy! :thinking:

Added files = number of loops (64 max ?)
Split files = number of trigs (16 max)

I plock every 2 steps, it’s less clicky, so 16 trigs = 2 bars.

Edit : doesn’t seem to work with 64 loops nor 64 splits.
Not 100% sure.

i dont own an octatrack. was pondering getting one. (but not in the near future caus$$)
but wait. you can’t take a sample. and just put it on loop? say… like the rytm?
that seems really strange for a sampler. ?

I’ll experiment a bit myself but I have to make some source material first, not sure when I’ll get round to it but I’ll definitely try it out. It will be good to know the limits :wink:

Yes you can just loop samples on Octatrack, the conversation just diverted from the original topic! :wink:

1 Like

Indeed, but there’s a relation I think. Here is an example of 16X16 Megabreack with 16 acid TB303 loops. One bar, only playing crossfader, with the 16 slices and other parameters assigned.

4 Likes

That sounds fantastic considering it is named ‘test’!

I would class the megabreak more like a large wavetable (or actually 16-64 wavetables!), but considering a wavetable consists of smaller individual waves, I can see the relation.

Well done sezrae56, thats a good example of a more subtle use of the megabreak, I’ve only used it/seen it used with breaks :exploding_head:

I didn’t make the bassline myself, so it can’t be anything else than a test ! :slight_smile:
If anybody want to try, download the files here :
Octatrack 64 breakbeat x 16 slices megabreak of doom:

2 Likes

Is there a sample pack of OT-ready waveforms somewhere?

yeah… second post in this thread…

1 Like