Single cycle waveform sample chains!

These singlecycle waveforms are awesome!!

not clicky…they work perfectly, you’ll enjoy!!

Dubathonic and I were discussing the only real difficulty with these singlecycle waves and that is that there are so many of them!! I’d like an easy way to audition the waves and select which ones I’d like to use, or create chains with…

I thought about this and patched up a simple wave audition patch in max/msp, you drag a folder full of wavefiles to the patch and use the arrow ‘up’ and ‘down’ to scroll through the various waves. It loops the wave and displays the waveform, no pitchshifting or other trickery…

Now, is anyone interested in this? I could clean it up, turn it into a standalone patch so anyone could use it and/or post the max code?

Here’s a screenshot of the raw patch:

1 Like

Here’s a mac standalone version:

http://husc-sound.com/soft/hsc_singlecycle_audition.zip

(tested on OSX 10.6.8)

screenshot:

Let me know if this helps, I can tweak it further or post the original patch, so you can tweak it!

3 Likes

well, damn - that blows my chances of polishing and trading the one i’ve been working on :wink:
though i am also creating (by partials/drawing) single cycle waves and equi-spaced chains and a few other bling things as well
no income and sharing work are mutually incompatible for me tho
i’ll work on as i want the functionality i’m designing in
#lateagain !!

well, damn - that blows my chances of polishing and trading the one i’ve been working on :wink:
though i am also creating (by partials/drawing) single cycle waves and equi-spaced chains and a few other bling things as well
no income and sharing work are mutually incompatible for me tho
i’ll work on as i want the functionality i’m designing in
#lateagain !!
[/quote]
Hope I didn’t step on anybody’s toes with this…!?

It’s a very basic tool I put together just to audition the AK folders quickly… Anything more polished or with additional features is of course welcome and when done proper deserves a lot of donations…

no toes stepped on here ! :slight_smile:

i’ll soldier on, slowly tinkering and tweaking, probably take the whole of february to sort the fonts out … #washejoking

just don’t buy an A4 though !! :wink:

question about this from a use perspective…

is there a way to control the length of the tone?

ex: trig a single cycle on step 1, in playback settings for the flex machine - loop has to be set to ‘on’ correct?

the note will sound forever until it is stopped, or a trigless trig with volume set to 0 is put down the sequence.

Is there a better way to do this that I’m missing?

Thanks.

Decrease your release and hold settings on the amp page.

1 Like

derp.
Thanks! I had them cranked up on that track from last time i opened this project :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually the default is fully clockwise!

Hello,

thanks for the sample pack, looks fantastic!

I’m trying to use one of these single cycle waves, but i’d like to get some advice on how to properly set up the flex machine.

***if this looks too long for you to read just skip to the bold part at the bottom***

I set Loop to On, slice to On, slice the file to 64 slices, adjust the envelope…

now here’s the part i have issues with:

with the length parameter set to Slice all of the waveforms sounds quite low, in the bass register. Is it supposed to be like this?

if i put length to the Time, there really no difference between waveforms, i guess because it’s playing only the beginning of the slice or something(sorry, i’m totally new to this machine). So i turn the Length parameter on the Playback screen to the maximum and getting the same result as if Length in the setup menu would be still on ‘slice’.

Now i can start to decrease the length in order to pitch up the sound(there’s pitch parameter also of course, but it only changes pitch within once octave i think, and i need to shift to the higher octave).

So, if i put length to 64, it kind of goes two times higher or something, but not really, some waveforms still go quite low. If i crank it up to 32 most of the waveforms start to sound indistinguishable to me again…

Haha, quite long post already,sorry.

So, the question is: how do i setup flex machine to play the waveforms in high octaves while still being able to hear the actual difference between waveforms?

Thank you, Octatrack is really cool, even that new flashy thingie with pad doesn’t change how i feel about it)

Hi,

In order to change the waveforms you use the Start parametter, not the Lenght one… you must be able to swap betwen slices/waveforms by using this parametter.

Remember to use Flex machines, not static…

The two modes of the Lenght prametter allows you to either shorten the slice… making it higher in pitch.
The other mode, when the slice is being made longer, allows to let say include more than one waveform… using 1 or two gives good results but anything longer starts to create a mess…

In order to pitch up or down the sound you can use a combination of Rate, Lenght and Pitch parameters.

I hope it helps!
Julian

2 Likes

thx so much for these i’ll go and try them out now…

thx for that works a treat…

hello all
could you take advantages of these single cycle chain on digitakt, or is it just better to stick with the satndard alex kid one???

by the way i just found another "looks like cool sample pack i just downloaded, there is too a tutorial for electribe and octatrack about single cycle…
https://www.lotsofnoise.technology/

thanks

1 Like

just found this other post

are those sample chains of the same form for all the machines??

can you use those sample chains on all elektron unit supporting it (md, mono, diditakt, rytm, octatrack to my knowledge??).
thanks

they are from the adventure kid library anyway, the poster just chopped some out for some reason, maybe favourites i don’t know.

unless they have been saved as a weird format other than .wav (rytm uses wav correct?) then yes you can use in anything

The key thing with sample chains is how you put start + end easily so that you can switch from one loop to another.
Only Octatrack does slice any sample chain (up to 64 slices). Making it possible to jump from one to another with the keys/trigs (in Slice mode).

On AR, sample start and end parameters go from 0 to 120 by increment of 1. This makes it possible to bypass the absence of slicing by having chains of 60 or 120 samples. And you can even set such parameters in a Scene so that you can choose the slice on the fly.

Digitakt can make it possible to set any start/end point but only one per chain = while you can take advantage of the chain by reusing the same chain with different souds, in the end it’s not as convenient as being able to use slices.

6 Likes

It is exactly as has been said above… Rytm needs chains with fixed intervalls on the basis of 120 - such as 60, 30 etc. I selected the waveforms as “Best Of” and build such chains to be usable in my Rytm.

I suspect that the Octatrak has no problems handling them, not sure about the other devices.