Simple Sampling problem

You will not believe it,

I’m have a A4 and a A-Rytm and recently bought the octatrack.
I try to follow some video tutorials on the internet since the octatrack is somehow different to the other elektron machines.

When trying to sample as in this video:

I have no sound when I playback the recording. Very strange because I do all the same as in the video.

Can someone help me?

Another reason could be that you have to assign the corresponding recorder buffer for the track you would like to record on. E.G. recording buffer 1 for track 1, recording buffer 2 for track 2 and so forth.

Tried both of your helpfull comments but with no satisfaction. I really know I’m doing something terrible wrong. I formatted my card / and started all over again. Without result.

The incoming audio from AB and CD is good (leds) but when I press Edit recording after recording I dont see any waveforms :(.

What does the recording setup page look like during sampling? There should be a tiny moving triangle on top of the “tape”, if the sample is played back at the same time, there should be two triangles (the 2nd one symbolizing) playback.

Hans

1 Like

Please, try first initiating the buffer by forcing the sampling with a recorder-trig on first step. (Be sure that it is assigned to the source you need to sample from, i.e. A/B ; C/D ; SRC3).
Then check if any waveform is displayed.
If yes, then try the manual method again…I bet my 2cents this will give you something…but please, report back news =)
Sometimes I find that the Manual sampling doesn’t capture any audio, even if I do all properly (apparently).

This issue I encountered few times, is something I was going to arise in the Forum in the next days.
Good occasion to ask for someone else to chime in if experienced some strange sensation when sampling…

These 2 videos helped me a lot, they are simple to understand.

I managed to get it working on T3. But it doesn’t work all the time I guess. Still searching what part of the sampling I don’t understand because I did it a few times now succesfull and some other times not :D. From the videos above I cannot find what I’m doing wrong in my head :D.

Just did it succesfull at the other tracks so I know I do understand how it works. But again sometimes I still have silence. I know it’s someting tricky in my head I must oversee sometimes. I’ll let you know when stupid me knows what.

Ok so, right after I recorderd it I can play the recording when I press TRIG BUTTON I-T1. But when I set grid recording on and I place a trig on the first step the audio seems to be (sometimes) dissappeared from the buffer. Still searching why …

Check if you have that track set to PlaysFree (FUNCT+EDIT; NO grid mode)
The sequencer will not play its sequence, instead gets triggered by the first 1-8 trigs (as in your scenario) depending on the track

1 Like

OK, so with the record trig

Press function and the record trig and it turns yellow!

This is a one shot recording trig.

The first time you make it yellow it’s armed.

Once it triggers it initiates recording and flashes to show it’s no longer armed.

Leave all the record menus, edit mode etc… so you are back at the main screen.

Now… any time you want to sample, press yes and the little yellow trig will stop flashing (out of sight hidden away) and will be armed ready to record.

No more blank recordings!

Enjoy :)[/quote]
sorry for the delayed reply. Now christmas is finally over, I can spend some time with the octatrack again.
But I do not quit understand your post. :frowning:

OK, so with the record trig

Press function and the record trig and it turns yellow!

This is a one shot recording trig.

The first time you make it yellow it’s armed.

Once it triggers it initiates recording and flashes to show it’s no longer armed.

Leave all the record menus, edit mode etc… so you are back at the main screen.

Now… any time you want to sample, press yes and the little yellow trig will stop flashing (out of sight hidden away) and will be armed ready to record.

No more blank recordings!

Enjoy :)[/quote]
sorry for the delayed reply. Now christmas is finally over, I can spend some time with the octatrack again.
But I do not quit understand your post. :([/quote]
OK… This is jus from memory so if I miss anything hopefully others will chip in :slight_smile:

Track 1 - set as a Flex machine and select Recording buffer 1.

Enter edit mode and place a playback trig on step 1

Press function -> AB and select A / B as your source

Press function CD and set a small (0.063) fade in/out and turn the AB level up to 127

While still on the record options screen enter edit mode again - this lets you add record trigs

Add a trig to step 1

THEN hold function and press the same trig again - this turns it yellow! This is a ONE SHOT trig -so it will only activate recording once when the trig is armed. It is solid yellow when armed and waiting for the loop to come around and start recording and flashing yellow when it is not armed.

Exit edit mode and the record options screens.

Play your stuff!

When you want to record simply press YES - this will arm all the tracks and the lone shot trig. Wait for the recording to finish and you should have a recording :slight_smile:

Hope this makes more sense!!
[/quote]
Ok that worked! Thanks but isn’t this a bit to much work?
Now I can see that. I’m trying to search a good setup for live jamming at home. I have an Analog Rytm and a Analog 4.
Can you help me with a setup for this. I want to jam the Rytm and Four together and use the octatrack as recorder but mostly as performance hub at the same time. I want to:

1. Play with effects that changes the sound of both Rytm & Analog
  2. Add additional samples as extras (fx - vocals - maybe a loop …)
  3. Record the RYTM or 4 WHILE jamming and change that recording and play it back and return to the original thru sound without any form of silence…
    Is this even possible? Damn, didn’t know it would be THAT hard.

For this setup I had this in mind:

T1 -> Analog Rytm
T2 -> Analog 4
T3 - T7 -> Extra tracks for loops, drums, vocals, fx
T8 -> master track

I have exactly the same problem as benvanmassenhove. It works with Recorder Trig Sampling but not the simple manual one - the sample is just silent then (or has a very very faint white noise).

There must be some ¤%&/%¤ setting somewhere that screws it up, but where?