Signal flow/gain staging diagram for Octatrack MKII

Clearly there is some confusion here as you haven’t understood the logic in my posts. It’s already been explained above in any case by other people that the Ot is not waiting on nominal line level +4dBu to get a sweat on. I won’t waste our time to repeat it as it’s all above. You seem to be implicitly suggesting that the OT2 can’t take hotter signals than the OT1 which is certainly confusing given the literature. The notion relating to +4 dBu somehow being the level required to knock out a maximized almost clipped capture (without gain/attenuation) is IMHO misguided and contributing to this lingering confusion.

v8 uploaded with corrected conclusion re. headroom due to the LED hysteresis. There’s at least 5dBV (not 10) headroom if they are not red, but this could be more depending on which direction you adjust the sig level. Bottom line is they seem to be a rough guide only; if they hit red you may get away with it, you may not. Maybe the phrase ‘let your ears be the judge’ is right after all :slight_smile:

1 Like

I saw this too, some material was far more forgiving (example linked) whereas other regular sounds just clipped at red - it probably depends on the overall profile of the sound

1 Like

Thank you, that helps!

1 Like

v9 uploaded. Pickup machine gain control path corrected.

Made a video; Doesn´t it work similar on your OT?

Probably, I didn’t get the point watching your video with my smartphone. :neutral_face:

Don’t you agree with that?

The routing is different for CUE.

It’s different on mine;
Main Outs: Preceding Track Level inactive - Neighbour Track Level active
Cue Outs: Preceding Track Level active - Neighbour Machine Track Level active.

I guess you mean track CUE Level. That’s what I didn’t understand. For me track Level is track MAIN Level. :pl:

OT is in studio mode; when i turn up the track volume with the level encoder (main outputs) the track level of the preceding track is inactive.
With cue level [Function] + [Cue] it’s different. Cue level is active on preceding track and Neighbour Machine.

That’s what I meant and it makes quite a difference with fx, because I can turn up the preceding track and balancing both fx chains.

I totally disagree :

:smile:

Btw, the behavior is the same with Studio mode off. This mode change mostly change mutes behavior. Suits fx send.

Yeah sure, studio mode shouldn’t make a difference.
Just wanted describe what I’m doing^^

When you get home, could you watch the video and tell me what’s going on there?

1 Like

I’m home! I barely use computers since a decade, and all of them are not working properly. I watched the video again, understood, Track Level instead of Track CUE Level warped my head before. :wink:

1 Like

This is totally awesome! Just what a techy guy like me needed to understand the labyrinthic gain staging on my new OT…

1 Like

After THRU you have SRC/VOL +63 and AMP/VOL 0. With a hot but not clipping input, I’m getting a distorted output with those settings. However, with SRC/VOL 0 and AMP/VOL +63 I’m getting that 12dB boost without distorting.

1 Like