Sidechain effect on OT?

Hi there. :v:
I have a synth entering a thru machine on the OT
I wonder, can I some how get it sounding side chained to using internal effects?
This would be in real time, non recorded audio?
:v:

I’d say yes, possible realtime, if your synth sends midi. You can use it to trigger another track’s lfo on VOL. Midi processor needed.

To clarify, you want a compressor side chain?

1 Like

Thank you, this is a new one for me and will experiment with this, thank you!

just modulate the input volume instead of amp vol, with an lfo? pretty easy…

1 Like

Ah yes I’m getting it thanks all.

I like the saw wave on the amp volume.

Mult. 2, 4, 8 and 16 all sound really cool with beats (I followed the birdzeye recipe for the basis)

slowing the speed down sounds nice, having long volume swells, and adding big dank Reverb on the end :+1:

With regular side chain, a signal interacts with another one.
https://www.google.fr/amp/s/www.soundonsound.com/sound-advice/q-what-does-compressor-sidechain-do%3Famp

AFAIK, not possible with OT, except with midi.

Thank you, I have realised I was looking for a side chain type effect rather than actual side chain compression, which the lfo modulating the volume gives me what I needed so all good.
It has opened up my mind to possibilities seeing it can control pitch etc.
I wonder, can you recommend some good reading for lfo ideas?
sezare you have supported me with every question I have since I bought the octatrack, special thanks!

3 Likes

:wink:
To stay in topic : actually, with my guitar control project, I want the opposite of Side Chain : I want some tracks to be heard only when I play guitar. My only workaround is using MD inputs, triggering a track with midi. An lfo can be used.
This can be used for realtime side chain.

Off topic about an lfo trick I like to use
Sequence sample slices with probability events

1 Like

What’s the best way to achieve a sidechain effect on the OT?
The lfo trig types can’t be p-locked like the other elektrons which confuses me.
I would plock a lfo trig at the start then have it run free on other elektrons

Lfos can be plocked with trigless.
What do you mean by side chain fx precisely?

Volume ducking/gating.

Just want the bass to duck the kick drum to mix the track a bit better

Just turn the volume down on the step I need you mean?
Is there no way to achieve this with an lfo ?

One shot IEXP LFO to AMP vol?

1 Like

Lfo designer for best curve…

3 Likes

You could also trig the filter env with trigless trig.

Will try that. The video in this thread is good for a loop but not a sliced loop

I have to say i had to draw a custom shape, as IEXP amd IPULSE made cnoticable clicks when ducking…

Iexp on comp threshold seems to work well enough for me. But yeah I also designed a custom one that is basically iexp with a steep slope at the end before the retrigger to reduce clicking

1 Like

Midi triggered sidechain effect
I came across a very useful way to sidechain the OT from incoming midi notes. Works great to duck a THRU track’s volume according to an external device.

I use this to have my Rytm’s kick and bass tracks sidechain selected tracks on my OT. No more need to duplicate the kick trigs on my OT or fake it with a sync’d lfo. This reacts perfectly to trig conditions, muting, etc on the Rytm! :metal:

Octatrack global setting:

1. Set project midi control « audio note in » to Map/track

Setup per THRU track to be sidechained setting:

1. Set a LFO to do some sidechain effect on trigger (ie: one shot trig to amp vol or filter with a reverse exponential wave)
  2. P-lock the first trig and lock that LFO depth to 0 so it does not sidechain on its own
  3. Set the track midi map (midi + up) to Slots

On the external device (the sidechain source)

1. Set the channel(s) you want to trigger sidechain to the same one as the THRU track and make sure device sends its notes to midi out

It’s of course possible to set multiple tracks to the same channel so that they sidechain together.

Never saw that posted here, hope this can be useful to some :slight_smile:

5 Likes