Show us your Rack! 19 inch format love

Damn dude!

1 Like

Small little live rig or mobile recording.
This is in a 2x10u angled mixer rack now.
Still need to finish up a midi controller to put where the blank panel above the MD is and make a new mount for the MD.
Gonna push the MD all the way to the left and use the 4” on the right to build in Justin’s megacommand. Spent entirely too much on an interface, but 1/2 rack and tabletop stuff drives me nuts. Plus side is when I do get it back home, just dump all the tracks into home DAW in 1 go via AVB.

14 Likes

Love my rack; two black music-store racks containing:

• Furman M-10LX E conditioner
  • Kawai MAV-8 midi Patchbay (great for manual disabling midi out of e.g. the slim phatty)
  • TC-electronic D-TWO
  • Lexicon PCM-80
  • Neutrik Patchbay (very sturdy)
  • Emagic amt8
  • Emagic Unitor8
  • 3U drawer with cables 'n stuff

Rack on the right side:

• Roland S-330 (spent more on peripherals then the cost of the unit…)
  • Moog Slim Phatty (2x, because they are so damn nice)
  • Waldorf Microwave rev-A (beautiful sounding wavetable synth)
  • 1HE space for? Maybe another S-330…
  • E-mu e-Synth (disabled the ROM board, rather have the additional 64 MB at my disposal)
  • 3U drawer with cables 'n stuff
20 Likes

Used to have an S-330 sampler. Loved drawing waveforms on it. It had a nice sound to it.

1 Like

How do you find the qu pac?

I’ve been looking for a rack mount mixer/interface and think it could be ideal.

if your rack doesn’t include a patch bay, is it even a rack…? :thinking:

2 Likes

Where do the cables go for the bottom two synths in these kinds of racks? They seem to be fit directly against eachother?

I really like the Qu-pac, it’s a very nice sounding mixer. Also if you take in account that it acts as an interface it’s a really good deal. The Qu-pac has 16 channel inputs + 3 stereo inputs that you’d ideally use as returns for effects. The internal effects are pretty decent; I’ve just added the D-Two because it can be synced to MIDI - something the Qu can’t. You can add up to 16 additional channels using expansion racks but also use these 16 channels to stream from e.g. your DAW over USB.

I’m using Mixing Station (dev-core.org) to remote control the Qu. As you can see in the screenshot below I’m using 8 channels to stream from my Mac.

I usually sequence all my gear and record the complete mix in one go. I prefer working that way instead of doing things “in the box”. The Qu-pac being a 32x32 interface allows either way of working; mapping of the 32 USB outs (from the Qu-pac to USB) can be configured any way you like. You can map the individual input channels or map groups, mixes (look at these as your traditional “aux sends”), matrixes.

The only thing I really do miss is the ability to store and recall mixes using sysex the way I used to with my Yamaha 01V. I would love to have total recall from a DAW project itself rather than having to load a separate scene - but that’s probably just me.

So in short: nice sounding, powerful and flexible mixer!

1 Like

The Virus sockets panel rotates to face backwards when the rack mount kit it used. The Nord sockets are in the back panel but further down in the chassis. It is well clear of the Virus.

3 Likes

Nice. Does it work so that you can both mount them in a rack ánd use them flat on/as a desktop?

You need to change the backplate of the virus, so yes, but with some work.

2 Likes

Nice bass station and drum station pairing! I have the newer bass station keyboard now, sold the rack (still have the drum station rack), but swear I still got better atmospheric low bass sounds out of the older rack! Still miss it

1 Like

I’ve had this lil 4U SBK for years and it’s been the ultimate in utilitarianism:

ETA Systems PD8L power conditioner
Behringer MIC2200 Ultragain Pro vacuum tupe preamp
DBX 166XL compressor/limiter/gate
Alesis Midiverb4 that I haven’t used in years (maybe decades)

6 Likes

MOTU Midi Express XT
Yamaha TX81Z (Midi overload error lol)
Alesis QuadraVerb
DBX 266XL Compressor
Novation Drum Station rack
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Korg Triton rack
Alesis 3630 Compressor

Finally put these items in a legit rack unit and quickly doubled my rack stuff since then. Like getting a house, you quickly find a way to occupy all the empty rooms. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

You’ve actually got a fair bit of midi control from network midi available on the Qu, and in particular, if you have scenes for a mix stored on it, you can definitely recall them via midi. Likewise automating at least levels and a few other parameters. It’s the most complete of the midi implementations for the A&H non-DJ mixers, and it’s the one thing I miss on my SQ.

With the Virus you replace the back panel when using the rack kit so it cannot be used on a desktop setting like that unless it’s propped up enough to clear the cables.

1 Like

True, I’ve made a CTRLR panel to control the Qu and it allows control over pretty much everything. I don’t remember why I stopped using it; have to take a look at it again ;),

1 Like

uh oh

15 Likes

Love the use of the iPads with AUM. Very powerful touchscreen routing IMHO

Probably going to swap the Ashly out for my (currently loose) Quadraverb and let the Ashly sit on my table.
lol @ Lately Bass.

9 Likes