Show us your gardens!

Gardening season is in full force (at least here in the northern hemisphere). Perhaps y’all would enjoy sharing pictures of your gardens, I’d love to see them!

Here’s what I’ve got going on…

Tomatoes
Eggplant
Beans
Cucumbers
Peppers
Squash
Melons
Chard
Beets
Leeks
Herbs
Figs

:slightly_smiling_face:

63 Likes

Why do you grow them in tubs instead of the ground? I know nothing about gardening but would like to start growing my own veg at some point.

Cheers!

They’re actually raised garden beds. We grow in them instead of the ground for several reasons: it’s easier to pull weeds, we can choose what kind of soil to use, better drainage, etc.

You should grow some veg! It’s rewarding. You don’t really need much space, you can do a lot with 15 gallon (60 liter) pots…

Cheers!

4 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

So this was ours when we moved in in 2015.

So we did some growing in the front garden instead for a bit.

Then I finally got round to sorting the back garden during lockdown.

And here it is today, full of fucking kids bullshit. Built the jungle gym over the weekend, bastard thing.

Last job is to knock this old shed down next year and build a big greenhouse down the side of the house and a bunch of raised beds for growing.

33 Likes

Nicely done, that’s a lot of fucking work you did there…

2 Likes

A lot of fucking work.

If I ever see another rotavator I’ll fucking smash the shit out of it.

5 Likes

This is common practice in my area as well. I’m in Florida, US and it’s not unusual to get so much rain as to drown our plants. I usually do a mix of in ground and raised planters.

2 Likes

Looks lovely!

What I will say is that it’s been fucking horrible watching the lawn I worked so hard to plant two years ago dry out and die. Another couple of weeks without rain and I’m gonna have to start all over again I reckon.

3 Likes

Funny you started this thread today. Recently moved and brought my potted vegetable garden with me. Woke up this morning to no tomatoes, half eaten pepper plants, and deer scat right next to it. Considerably peeved. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

That space you created in the back is fantastic.

Are you by chance familiar with https://www.youtube.com/c/CharlesDowding1nodig ?

1 Like

how do you stop the bugs eating them? I ended up using a net over my spinach bed. prior to that there were lots of leafy bite marks

Do screengrabs of Stardew Valley count ?

2 Likes

Beneficial plants can assist. Neem oil and diatomaceous earth help if you want to remain organic.

2 Likes

cool, might get some neem oil. not heard of that before!

1 Like

I used to grow kale in various spots, not because I want to eat it, but because bugs seem to love it, and they get so busy with that they leave all my other shit alone.

4 Likes

I’ve heard you can do the same thing with cabbages. Plant them on the perimeter and they act as a bait plant apparently.

3 Likes

No, but I’ll check it out.

1 Like

I love kale too much to use it as a lure, but if it means everything else remains in tact then it sounds like a good solution. early days, but my net seems to be working.

3 Likes