Show me your best RYTM Techno Drums!

Rytm is a great techno maschine! btw like this thread! :slight_smile:

here is 2nd part of the Transient Studie

Analog Rytm:
track 1: engine bass drum hard
track 2: engine bass drum classic with lfo is modulating the transient parameter.
track 3: engine rim shot classic
track 4: sample engine with 909 open hihat

Analog Four:
track 1: OSC 1 set to feedback mode. Ladder filter with full resonance modulated by LFO in HLD mode.

Some additional plate reverb by EMT140, UAD Voice Of Good on bass drum and the Fatso on the master bus.

What I also love is using the filter envelop to shape a sound and turning it from a tom to a laser zap to a hihat. Such an inspiriing maschine!

3 Likes

so good! and thanks for sharing the kick specs :slight_smile:

James- not to beat a dead horse. Thank you so much for the tips on the LFO. already making banging kicks. any tips on that 16th note hat/shaker that coems in at 5:45? been strugglign to get an ā€œorganicā€ sound to my 16th notes on the rytm![/quote]
No worries guys :slight_smile: I actually have an A4 pack and still working on a RYTM pack that will be officially released by Elektron. The RYTM pack up to now has about 15 kicks and most of em are hard hitting and subby like this one.
Geoffmar Iā€™m away from my studio at the moment but from memory the hats and the ride come from the official 808/909 gold baby RYTM packs. I recommend these especially for your tops. I do remember doing some tricks to the rides by adding some attack and also delaying the hit slightly so the ride hits become the release of the hats. I will have a look shortly and give you some more info on em. To be honest Iā€™m not entirely happy with my hats/rides technique I still feel theres definitely more room for improvement and provably some tricks to be discovered

Great stuff snitch. The new EP is sounding savage too.

Oh and the hats for that 16th shuffle are really simple. Open hat on open hat track and the 16th hits in between are just straight (same velocity through) but obviously lowered in volume from the off hits. Think theres some lowpass filtering with a bit of resonance, I always shave off the top highs and also all drum tracks always have at least +8 on overdrive, also sometimes a bit of bit reduction too seems to work nicely on hat samples

3 Likes

great thread, great shares! thanks guys! pretty dope sound snitch!!

I usually layer my AR kick one or two more kick samples. mostly using the analog voice for the lower part of the kicks and the sample for the mid and high part, sometimes with some reverb on it and quiet some overdrive.

here are some work in progress examples, only adjusted to my shitty treated room acousticsā€¦

I usually put on a transient shaper to give it a tight punch and add compression in ableton as well. never really get along with the AR one.

1 Like

Snitch, you are a beast. Your tracks are fantastic.

Bit of a hard 4/4 beatdown: https://soundcloud.com/psilex/bump

this demo is f**g AWESOME!
The bass is BT machine with lfo on tune?

Nice sound and huge drops Snitch!

Great stuff going on in this thread, keep it coming.

I like your sound too, heavy and slow great work! thanks for sharing.

James- not to beat a dead horse. Thank you so much for the tips on the LFO. already making banging kicks. any tips on that 16th note hat/shaker that coems in at 5:45? been strugglign to get an ā€œorganicā€ sound to my 16th notes on the rytm![/quote]
No worries guys :slight_smile: I actually have an A4 pack and still working on a RYTM pack that will be officially released by Elektron. The RYTM pack up to now has about 15 kicks and most of em are hard hitting and subby like this one.
Geoffmar Iā€™m away from my studio at the moment but from memory the hats and the ride come from the official 808/909 gold baby RYTM packs. I recommend these especially for your tops. I do remember doing some tricks to the rides by adding some attack and also delaying the hit slightly so the ride hits become the release of the hats. I will have a look shortly and give you some more info on em. To be honest Iā€™m not entirely happy with my hats/rides technique I still feel theres definitely more room for improvement and provably some tricks to be discovered[/quote]
Oh wow this sounds awesome!
Looking forward to your sound pack!

love this set. im very inspired by how you go about connecting (very efficiently) your various gadgets for this setup.

it actually tipped me over the edge to finally get around to picking up that infinity looper Ive been wanting for agesā€¦

1 Like

oh man, this is just awesome!!! reminds me to Chain Reaction, Porter Ricks & Co!

Made this at a coffee shop the other day trying out the LFO on bassdrum decay. Mixed on headphones so bass heavy -

https://soundcloud.com/geoffmartin/rytm-techno

I had fun with this one. Drums are all Rytm, including the extended decay distorted drum kick. I love my Rytm.

2 Likes

very nice work. the hardest thing i find about the rytm is getting good stereo image on my hi hats. I like to double copy the tracks and pan them a bit left and right or use a stereo widener plug, but itā€™s hard to do that if youā€™re going out of the main outs. maybe i should use overbridge more. i also actually really like the compressor so i tend to use the stereo outs. maybe i should just get a hardware compressor.

very nice work. the hardest thing i find about the rytm is getting good stereo image on my hi hats. I like to double copy the tracks and pan them a bit left and right or use a stereo widener plug, but itā€™s hard to do that if youā€™re going out of the main outs. maybe i should use overbridge more. i also actually really like the compressor so i tend to use the stereo outs. maybe i should just get a hardware compressor. [/quote]
Thanks. Try to think about and pan your drums like a real drum kit (hats slightly off centre). i try to avoid stereo wideners as they tend to eat the centre / mono info. maybe a slight ping pong delay if you want your to make your hats bounce around. A little goes a long way with drums.

thanks for the nice feedback! mostly listening to Basic channel, deepchord and such all day long and miss this kind of sound. I started to like producing on 110 because there is more room. Playing those tracks on 120 feels really fast now. Iā€™m trying to put together a live act, but the octratrack and myself havenā€™t become good friend yet :wink: feels so much more complicated compared to the AR.

anyway great stuff patrick! very nice! love that noise in there, but still everything is very crisp and defined.

I usually go for ping pong delay on the hats well or use some lfo on the resonance or overdrive and pan them later once I recorded them into my daw.

to get back on the topic, hardest thing for me is to keep the lowā€™s from getting too full. especially with those low tombs I always have problems to get a clean kick running along. Even on very low volume the tombs are pretty loud. I havenā€™t had much luck with the AR compressor and thinking about buying a FMR compressor.