Should I sell this thing?

Yeah, I completely understand that & I do agree with what you’re saying. We should be able to trust what a company promises. It’s just there are so many circumstances & so many things can happen, that even if a company promises something is coming, problems can come up causing delay’s, ect, ect. So for me, if OB was that important to me I wouldn’t buy the product until I knew it had it. That was basically my point. I try to reduce risk. Personally I’m thinking of buying the Digitakt, but I probably wouldn’t use OB & if I ended up using it, it would just be an added bonus. I have the Heat & don’t use OB, all though I might someday. But I know that’s different & I know people that use DAW’s & master their work with software need OB. But again, if that’s the case, wait until it actually has it IF it’s that important to you.

Yeah, for me OB isn’t “necessary”, I don’t know crap about producing and mastering unfortunately. But the way I intend to use it, and I guess this is similar to what some people specifically bought it for, is to record a “live performance” all at once, just hit play and go, then you have the freedom to do whatever you want, try on-the-fly things etc. and it would all be captured as individual tracks in the DAW, then go back and tidy things up, cut things out, rearrange etc. into a more polished track, add effects, EQ etc. So you get the best of both worlds, being able to do fresh on-the-fly performance stuff but also being able to the DAW stuff after the fact.

For me, and sounds like would be the case for you also, it’s just an “added bonus”, but definitely a big bonus, one that I can easily see other people requiring as a major factor in more serious production.

I kind of just wish they would hurry up and finish it so “we” can move on from this never-ending OB discussion!

2 Likes

Haha, yeah totally! And yeah, with OB on the Digitakt you would get the best of both worlds… I can see how amazing that would be & can understand why people want it so bad. BUT the thing is… it doesn’t have it.
I know venting on a forum makes people feel better, they can get out their frustrations & find people that relate, maybe find a solution. & as human beings the biggest frustration is the unknown. Not knowing when it will have OB is probably driving people crazy. I just prefer to prevent myself from feeling those frustrations if possible. Getting upset, mad, frustrated… only hurts yourself. People cause their own pain. Sorry, I went a little deep there.

4 Likes

So I sat down to multi-track record the DT tonight, but it ended up being a lot more work than it sounds.

Because each pattern can contain 8 tracks, that means you can ostensibly have 64 different things going on, and if you want to record each ‘block’, it quickly becomes a heck of a lot of faffing about just to get things into the DAW as separate tracks for mixing - especially if you want to capture the conditional trigs. On top of that, you can’t just loop bars with effects like delay or reverb on them - for obvious reasons. I know that OB apparently won’t carry over the onboard fx anyway, so that’s just an observation. Either way, it isn’t a great way of working. I got the DT to avoid having to arrange like this in the DAW. :frowning:

I’m going to give it another bash soon, but it’s really dis-heartening to have to take this kind of approach for every finished track.

1 Like

Yeah I wouldn’t do it personally…even though I suggested it…but only because there are only so many options…record each track individually, record the master or sell it.

I personally would get it sounding as good as possible in the Digitakt (since you love it), record the master, do what you can to the master track in your DAW & wait for OB. & to look at it in a positive way, you will probably learn more about the Digitakt in the process, you’ll learn to get the best out of it & once OB comes out it will make it a perfect little box for you :o)

I ONLY record the master & don’t do any software mastering, but that’s a personal preference. I work on a computer & avoid it for music. But my goal is probably different than yours.

I just believe the tool is important, for example I couldn’t make music on a computer. Period. If that’s what I had as my tool, I wouldn’t make music. So if you enjoy playing the Digitakt & you know you would keep it 100% if it had OB, I think it’s worth keeping since it will have OB…someday…

1 Like

Dude, people have been multitracking drum machines one track at a time since the 70s!
Sync to DAW
Solo track one
Record
Solo track 2
Record
Etc.
Not that hard!
Give me your digitakt!

2 Likes

I have a question for you, or anyone else. My Digitakt syncs very poorly in Ableton because I use such a large buffer. Crazy tempo jumps, 120 will swing to 111 and back up to 125. Let’s say I want to record them in to Ableton without syncing, how do I properly sync drum tracks back up in Ableton afterwards??

That’s super weird,
I would focus on reducing the jitter issue instead of moving recorded tracks around!
Also, disable your plugins and track at the lowest possible buffer you can.
And make sure the jitter is not just on the screen, ie is it an audible issue? Or not?
Don’t judge that with your eyes!
The alternative is to zoom into the audio super close in and line up the transients of tracks together. Trust me that sucks to do!

Yeah exactly I set the digi to run the metronome for a few bars on each track and then tried lining them up that way, but it was too boring.
The jitter is very audible, nice tight beats become strange and weak.

That sucks.
I’m no longer on ableton tho, so I can’t help ya.
Send a support ticket to elektron!

I have a Machinedrum, not DT, but I have many times multi track recorded it without any sync at all. Just press play at the right time then align things after if needed.

Making music is not all easy and painless all the time. Some times you have to really work at something to get the results you want, and even compromise. This is how you learn. Forget about having someone else solve your problems for you and get to it.

3 Likes

Instead of individual tracks you can also record track groups. Just start out with 2-3 groups and see how it’s going. If you really need more control record more groups.

I just finished a record working like this with the digitakt. It turned out really great and I’ll post it once it’s mastered. It was pretty time consuming though.

2 Likes

Go for OT, it has a better OB. seriously why dont you record your tracks 1/1 or in a different way ?

I just record the drum tracks at a set tempo and use the same tempo in my DAW. Until we get overbridge this is the only solution. Takes a bit of time but I’ve always had to record synths/drum machines in this way so I treat it the same as any piece of hardware. When OB does arrive it will make life loads easier.

1/1?

You really didn’t read what I posted, did you? :slight_smile:

This is probably the best reply. I’ve already been recording just with the stereo outs. The tracks sound good, but not quite good enough, which is why I really want to be able to do some proper mixing to make them sound great. I’m going to focus on other sequencers and hang on for a few months and wait for OB.

This is a decent idea. I’ll give this a bash as well.

I think I’ll need to let the patterns run for four to eight times each or something to capture the conditional trigs (or at least most of them) - and potentially turn the delay and reverb off globally so that it doesn’t screw up the loops.

As a workaround what I do is use the stereo outs as ‘two tracks’ - so basically kick goes to 1 (panned left) and everything else goes to 2 (panned right). I happen to have two Digitakts so I use this method to give me 4 tracks (midi sync the DTs together). It’s not ideal, especially if you’re working with only 2 tracks, but having the kick separate in the DAW is a big help, and sometimes (actually often) limitations can be quite a bonus.

1 Like