Keep Yamaha FS1R or change to a Digitone or other FM poly

This might be derailing things slightly, but I’ve been wondering in recent days how the ‘formant sequencing’ stuff on the FS1R compares to something like the VO engine on Monomachine. (This is me again trying to talk myself out of FS1R envy when I’ve got Monomachine and other things).

What the hell?! Is there any synth that made no huge price jumps in the last 10 years? I had a FS1r 15 years ago and did not know what to do with it. I am sure I sold it for much less than 500€.

1 Like

I see one went for £585 on eBay in U.K. the other day. That’s an ok price by today’s standards, I’ve seen £7-800 a fair few times and higher as well.

Pretty sure our exchange rate hasn’t been helping. Lots of prices for new gear has gone up an awful lot too, I’ve been watching a lot of eurorack modules and standalone semi modular and these are generally up around 15-20% over the last 18-24 months.

FS1R wasn’t in production for long and I remember some awesome close out deals when it was discontinued. It was always ‘one that got away’ for me and well… the time came to give it a go.

1 Like

The FS1R is the pinnacle of FM synthesis in a hardware synth to this day, along with the FM engine in the Montage and the mighty Nord G2, hence the high prices they are selling for.
If you want the most powerful hardware FM synth, you will still buy the FS1R

FSEDIT has a Mac version and is the most fully featured for synth editing, I think. Full control over performance, control and FX parameters :smiley:
The formant sequencing stuff is more on windows it’s true, though there is a flash formant sequencer that runs in a browser online somewhere.

In the Nord G2 they added the Operator module and the DX Router.
You plug multiple Operator modules in/outs into the DX router, then select the algorithm from the pull down in the DX Router.
It’s insane FM stuff, considering you can then keep multiplying till you hit the dsp limit.
Arguably the most powerful hardware FM synth available

7 Likes

Yes you can program it, the problem is without the DX Router you won’t be able to change the algorithm on the fly, within the one patch.
You would have to re-wire the patch for each algorithm, which as you mention has already been done for you.
You will notice that the Operator module also has its own integral advanced envelope, essential in traditional FM synthesis, saving having to wire up manually.
It basically has everything laid out for convenience in the one patch.
Insane stuff

3 Likes

Depends on the presets from the FS1r that you are mostly using and If you are able to Part from the FS1r. I also had the FS1r …loved the Sound…hated the Interface. Digitone is a great substitution in my opinion. Go for it!

1 Like

It’s not that great on the couch. Scratchy heavy metal enclosure (which is almost completely empty inside!). The buttons not only feel pretty grim (to me) but the way the menus navigate is a little unusual. I find that once I learn the button navigation, it’s fast enough to use (for performance data anyway), but I don’t retain the memory of how to go around different menu levels very well (perhaps because the labelling is a bit confusing?), and need to ‘relearn’ this after any time away. Voice editing via the screen isn’t so easy and requires patience and a good knowledge of the architecture of the synth.

I’d be all over a desktop version with better editing interface for sure. Or even (dare I say it?) a VSTi. Come on Yamaha!

As others have said it’s good to use the computer based editors, especially (I’d say) FSEDIT. Once you understand the voice and performance architecture, navigation gets easier. Working out the synth without this knowledge of how the voices parts, performance and fx relate is not going to be easy.

The manuals (2) plus the algorithm sheet are essential reading and available online as pdfs.

Another very useful resource is the following pdf document: YAMAHA FS1R - Facts & Speculations by Michał Wiernowolski. It goes through a number of useful points and touches on some of the limitations of the synth too. Give google a go for that one!

5 Likes

There’s a software suite called g2ools that includes a DX7 to G2 patch converter, in case you’re interested:

wait OS fixes and overbridge. Then, do it :wink:

1 Like

Nice!

Despite my comments about software, or the immediacy of something like the Digitone, the FS1R is on the short list of Yamaha instruments that I’ve wanted on and off for years. However, then I got into designing modular circuits, and all of my Synth-Money TM started going into buying components, PCBs, panels, etc. :smiley: I’m just now starting to make a bit of music again with the DT+DN+Blofeld+4UModular, which is a nice change. I’m actually pretty happy with the sounds I’ve gotten out of the DN so far. However, if I wanted to get a bit more in-depth, I’d probably grab some software.

Or, since you mention the FS1R is almost completely empty, if I can find one for a good price, I could re-house it in a custom desktop with big knobs, etc.

FS1r second hand prices are insane…850€…1200US$…950UKP…insane!

Retail price 1998-2000 was round about 699US$. I bought mine s/h for 450€ and sold it for the same one month later. That was 2002…

1 Like

Sounds quite a project. One knob per parameter wouldn’t be a laptop, more a room!
Needs some context sensitive knobs with a display, all sending SysEx to the synth. Something like the interface on…Digitone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you’re not finding it fun or useful I might consider selling it tbh. If you’re just using presets, you might as well use a vst I think. That said, you could always get a digitakt and sequence the fs1r via midi, with all the P-locking you like, or if you need the cash, you could sell it and buy a digitakt and Reface DX used.

1 Like

Definitely true, just worth bearing in mind that not while every parameter of FS1R is controllable by CCs, many are, and these can be set up on the synth.

I confess I had some FS1R GAS for a bit too. The prices in the used market helped relieve a lot of that. :slight_smile:

I’m inspired by the video I found of someone using an Octatrack to sequence a Volca FM - that helped too.

I know what you mean about having to connect a computer - had a Micromodular once. I found I disliked having to use a mouse to connect/disconnect modules, twist knobs, etc.

And seriously - Volca FM + Octatrack’s Comb Filter = some awesome awesome sounds.

1 Like

Great topic!!

I say sell the FS1R, get Digitone and a used Yamaha TX802, which you can then run into the Digitone audio inputs to get some chorus, delay, reverb if you need it.

I own both Digitone and FS1R and they do not replace eachother, but…

The whole point of the DN is the amazing sequencer integration and instant programmability - it won’t cover what the FS1R excels at which is crystalline 6-op (and sometimes 8-op) FM sounds, but if you’re cool with getting great quality 6-op, the TX802 is excellent for this.

Recap: Instead of specializing in FS1R deep crystalline/weird formant stuff, I say split it in two: Digitone + TX802 and you will have serious power across several axes.

2 Likes

Thanks for this idea - will investigate