Should I get the M:S?

My advice if you’re at the beginning of the hardware musicmaking journey: start with ONE self contained box that gives you enough tools to write music. The M:S is cool, and with sample locks, you can get a lot out of 6 tracks, but the controls are quite limited (no attack on the amp env, no filter env AT ALL…), which means that certain types of sounds will be impossible to make without using a computer beforehand to generate them… plus, polyphony will be out of reach unless you sacrifice half of the tracks.

Get something that gives you a bit of sequencing, a bit of drums or sampling, a bit of synthesis, a bit of polyphony. Circuit comes to mind, but you have to use a computer to load your samples and get deeper with the synth engines. Electribe2 might be cool as well: fairly editable drums, simple but onboard synthesis, usable effects, but the sequencing is less deep than with an Elektron unit. For a bit more money, you could get an op-z which is also a cool all rounder. There are also some cool, older grooveboxes that you can get for almost nothing these days.

In short: get a cheap, simple box that lets you do a bit of everything without putting you in a deadend too quickly… and see if you like it.

1 Like

@Kuro: Thank you for your comments. Your advice is what I had in mind first, before thinking about multiple, cheaper boxes: get 1 box, one that “does it all” as much as possible. So I should stick to that. Just looked at some older grooveboxes, one that seems to “do-it-all” and people like, the Yamaha RS7000. But not exactly cheap, in my country the asking price is about 500 - 600 euros for second hand when I look around and it seems there are not many out there. You can probably get is for a bit less than what the seller asks, but still.

1 Like

Have you looked at the old electribes? Emx1 / Esx1 ? Never tried one but they have solid reputation.

Take a look at the Circuit as well, it’s a really nice box for cheap and it can take a place in a larger setup easily.

I can recommend the LXR sonic potions Drum machine. Really good bit of kit!

1 Like

I’m guessing you can get a used DT, a Minilogue and a couple of MIDI cables for not much more than that. Which is pretty dope.

1 Like

I’d get the most sophisticated 2nd hand box you can afford between the MS, DT and OT.

Never makes any sense to me to buy an ‘entry level’ that’s 2/3 of the price of the next level up.

You’ll be hankering after the next level up in no time, convinced you mispurchased and aching with acute buyer’s regret. That’s the first fundamental principle of GAS law.

2 Likes

Thanks again for all your thoughts and suggestions. Yes, I feel the same way too, @mokomo. It seems there are far more old Electribes out there, @Kuro. Asking price the Emx-1, around 400 euros here in my little corner of Europe. Spending a few 100s more and one can buy something really nice that’s new, I think.

@Zifor: did you DIY the LXR? For the machine I’m looking for I don’t want to DIY, there are so many other things you can make yourself, we’ve been talking about it. :wink:

1 Like

In the resale market, 2nd hand MS and DT all have ‘recent machine’ premiums greater than that of a 2nd hand OT Mk I, plus the OT Mk I has the OT Mk II overly depressing its market somewhat - so the OT Mk I at the right price is your best value, features/$ - save for interface enhancements and minor audio tweaks, it is the same as a Mk II.

Decide on the simple things you want to do on the MS and the DT and you’ll be able to figure it out on an OT. Save the OT complexity for when you’ve mastered its MS/DT features.

2 Likes

the M:S looks like a medical device or something like that <- So true! Although it might be appropriate. I frequently think that these machines keep me alive, psychologically, existentially, giving me energy to carry on with daily life… On the other hand, all this is more true for analog devices.

2 Likes

The pads on AR looks dope too

Because I decided not to get an Elektron, there’s no reason to stick around on a forum primarily for Elektron users. So this is my last post here. Thank you for your suggestions and advice, I wish you all the best.

2 Likes

aw man what a cliff hanger lol

2 Likes

yes but you’d have to admit that you’d get a secondhand electribe because it isn’t what an Model Samples is, and you obviously want something else, they’re not comparable

weird seeing all of the non-comparable comparisons… If I wanted the black box I wouldn’t be looking for anything like the models samples and vice versa… if I was looking for both what made me want an model samples and what makes me interested in a black box I would get the model samples and some granular iPhone apps, or the model samples and a black box, but comparing the two makes about as much sense as an mpc and a Yamaha rs-7000 sure they are both samplers and sequencers but hardly offer anything in the realm of the same experience.

1 Like

@Ydu_r built it myself with the CV outputs! I have yet to really integrate it mind. I need to get a rack for my synths for my small flat. Most of them are in my old studio gathering dust atm. I just have a few electron machines and my euro where i live at the moment. It was an easy enough build due to all the ICs. You just need to be wary to solder everything straight as it makes a pain to put the case in properly.
The most complicated thing i have build is the TTSH rev.3. Took over a year due to time constraints. Currently building the Deckards Dream v1. SMD a real pain for me. But using soldering paste is easing thing. I also recently got access to a solder reflow oven ill be able to go over my mistakes!