Should I get a Digitone?

no way!?? what?? which groups haha

/r/pcmusic and pc music shitposting on FB. Well received on both!

Really liked your Kim Petras rework too btw

1 Like

Don’t buy a Digitone! All you will be doing is making great music. No time for petting puppies or pottery classes.

7 Likes

Figured I would hijack this thread to ask my question…

How good is a Digitone at approximating the sound and depth of the Machinedrum? I am not so interested in it’s melodic and musical capabilities (which I know are great), but for getting totally percussive, strange, unpredictable stuff out of it. Do any of you see it as a possible pseudo-Machinedrum at all? Or will I be greatly disappointed if I get it for that purpose?

3 Likes

I’ll say the Digitone can make a wide range of percussive sounds. Really great kicks especially. It takes more time to finesse good percussive sounds out of it compared to the Machinedrum. I can just work so much faster with my MD to get awesome drum loops going. Though I have owned it longer, so I know my way around it.

Also consider you have only 4 tracks and 8 voices with the DN, so you might run into voice stealing with more complex loops. And if you want to use more than 4 types of sounds, you have to utilize sound locks from presets saved in the sound pool. All of these things take time to setup. MD has 16 voice / 16 tracks and can also have 16 lfos.

I do really enjoy the Digitone for percussive duties but mostly use it for Melodic / FX / Textures material. To ignore the Digitones melodic capabilities would be a disservice to yourself.

The two are hard to compare because they really are two different beasts. You do get conditional trigs and micro timing with the DN. And scale per track also. Those features alone sell it as a drum machine quite a bit. Harsh metallic sounds are in abundance on the DN, but the filters can easily tame those types of sounds and get you more into a clean digital sound. Using the Arpeggiator for hihats is pretty awesome though!

4 Likes

Thanks for the thorough answer, much appreciated.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. Also, if you want to get real bonkers with a Machinedrum, the Ctr-RE and Ctr-GB feature can turn the delay and reverb fx into send fx that have realtime control over the parameters such as feedback and decay. Parameter lock these and if you have the UW version, use realtime re-sampling and go crazy! My only qualms about the Machinedrum is that it’s very much to the grid type machine (quantization wise) and fairly digital sounding. Good luck.

I’ll try and record the most crazy, extreme examples of each and upload them later if I have time.

2 Likes

Everyone should own a digitone, come on in the water is warm !

3 Likes

Didn’t have much time to work on this but here’s some drum loops from the Digitone. Also had a drum loop from my Machinedrum starting at 2:50. Spent more time on the Digitone loops and had a fun doing these. One thing I will say is that the DN is a very punchy machine. The hits have body.

8 Likes

Wow, you went above and beyond. Thanks a lot @Cepheid

Great comparison and great help

1 Like

Love it :slight_smile:

I often look to trade my stuff for new gear, but one thing I never see myself getting rid of is my Digitone. This is coming after not really digging it at first.

7 Likes

I’m doing the same thing right now. Got a wad of cash on my desk designated for a digitone…

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Digitone, or Digitone Keys?

Digitone is a really lovely brick. Synthesis, overall sound, UI and this form factor really makes this machine. As a standalone is bit too less, but as a companion or “gadget” fills gaps of many setups. And its form factor makes, that you always pack it first to your bag. Exteranl keyboard is highly reccomended, as then it really shines.

1 Like

What’s up with the terms “gadget” and “form factor” these days?
-cringe-
It’s just a synth.
And a pretty good one.

The gentleman in this video might disagree with the idea that it falls short as a standalone device…

3 Likes

I’m aware that you can made whole tracks using solely this. But the comfort suffers substantially. Especially if you have only four tracks. Sure I also did whole patterns with all the sound and drums only in DN, when left alone only with it for Christmas. It was nice experience I learned a lot, but it was cumberosme AF.

1 Like