Should I choose OT or MPC Live?

well it worked last time I tried :wink:

1 Like

Actually I was right. I said OT2, not Mk2 hooray :grin: Mk2 confirms the extended lifecycle.

4 Likes

Recently ordered the Digitakt which is my first Elektron productā€¦ Although it seems powerful, Iā€™ve noticed some limitations for my workflow when it comes to song arranging and live performanceā€¦ Iā€™m a musician, so I will be using digitakt like an instrumentā€¦ I then want to build song parts/loops/patterns as stems with the Digitakt then record and sequence them into a second machine (thatā€™s not a computer) and be able to perform them and launch the stems like Clips similar to the Clip Launch mode in Ableton liveā€¦ A second machine would also allow me to keep the music going as I switch project in Digitakt which I would image I would eventually have to do given that itā€™s only 8 tracks (about enough for one song)ā€¦ Would the Octatrack or MPC Live work better for this? Whatā€™s your experiences with these machines? Pros and Cons of each?

1 Like

both seem about equally buggy right now. Iā€™d not buy either right now if the intention was to perform live with them. Wait a while for the fixes.

1 Like

Edit: Md is better on those stuff :smiley:

I do not think this is important.

You can run the OT on a portable battery power (to buy and find by ways)ā€¦

You can miss a machinedrum uw mkII

i was just using my MPC Live aux outputs to send CV (any slow waveform works well for LFO action) to my analog heat control inputs. woop! it works!

1 Like

I thought the outputs on the MPC live are not DC-coupled?

it does seem to have worked

After testing OT > Jumped on Toraiz SP16 (sold) > Jumped on MPC Live (sold) > Re-Buy the SP16 > Jumped on OT Mk2ā€¦ without loosing too much money !

I can tell MPC Live was closed to what I would like but key program to painful to make (Time Consuming)
The Toraiz SP-16 should have been top notch in terms of Sound Quality (But 1FX Slot + No Sample Editing + Modulations destinations too limited) was a Deal Breaker ā€¦ I rebuy because of a good second hand price + the promising 1.4 firmware update and DJS1000 compatibility claimsā€¦ where I completely think I will have what I want and solved by a NO WAY :rofl:

So to me now YEAH, OT MK2 is the only device who could bring me on the table what I need. But I have to do with 8 Tracksā€¦ and not 16 which is my dream because I really like to have a Two person bed just for me : itā€™s like that :stuck_out_tongue:

And in my case Trig Conditions sold it because I have a trick in my music, I always wanted to be able to make it with Hardware instead of Ableton Live and now I can mimic this personal trickā€¦ Pure Magic :slight_smile:

1 Like

Was never keen on MPC live, but currently own OT2 and SP16. Toraiz update is one to tell the grand children about! Iā€™m finding that the OT2/SP16 combo is a lot of fun: setup a bunch of TRCs on OT and release it into the wild, while using pads and samples on SP16 thru the filter. If I can avoid more purchases with this setup then eventually it will work out!

Yes I agree itā€™s a great combo I will re-buy a third time if they deliver the FX2 slot or at least 1EQ + FX1 at some point

Yeah, the decision to choose between reverb OR delay per track is beyond stupid. Fuggs me up everytime I fire up the OT. Why Elektron, oh whyā€¦

Yeah but thereā€™s the Track 8 as a Reverb Busā€¦

that sp16 seems like a waste of time if you have any analog in your studio. my a4 will put a filter on a sample in much the same way. dave smiths filter isnt a big deal. just go and buy a shruthi or something similar.

the mpc is getting better little by little and is by no means as crippled as many wanna suggest. its super capable as compared to the OG MPCs. MPCs are about simplicity anyway. i do have several suggestions myself but at the moment im happy with the mpc. doesnt mean i wont check other things out and keep an ear to the tracks regarding updates to the MPC.

1 Like

I still have to suffer one Track. Itā€™s a poor decision by Elektron, period. No need to defend thisā€¦

1 Like

Oh i have a lot of arguments to defend themā€¦ especially comparing to other brand on the sampler territoryā€¦ but Iā€™m tired today :slight_smile:

I donā€™t get this instant ā€œbut the othersā€¦ā€-talk. My gripe is with Elektrons decision of OTā€™s effects routing and not with (insert other sampler here). Itā€™s not the end of the world for me but am I allowed to criticize why I only can have one OR the other fundamental effect per track? Thanks.

1 Like

Sure you can :slight_smile:
have a good evening !