Should Amp HLD AUTO be out of the modulation range?

Usually Amp HLD value set to AUTO produces a longer decay than when set to 1.

When using a HLD value different form AUTO then if we do modulate it negatively either with the velocity, a performance macro, a scene, or the aftertouch, to achieve a shorter sound, if we go lower than 1 then HLD value will be set to Auto and the sound will jump from a very short HLD to a considerable longer one (YMMV).

So if we use just one modulation source it is ok, we just need keep HLD modulation lower than x=HLD-1 so it won’t reach 0. But if we use more than one modulation source, for example after touch and a scene, the combination of both could make HLD to reach 0 therefore Auto.

I know it is a very little silly thing but I think it is more logical/intuitive if Auto is avoided when HLD is modulated… and I bet it is extremely easy to achieve on the coding side.

What do you think?

2 Likes

Agreed.
Even if it can yield to fun artefacts, Auto should be kept out of reach of any modulation, from LFO to velocity/aftertouch or Perf/Scene macros.

1 Like

Do you think it would have made more sense to have the AUTO value at the end of the range instead?

Or what if we could fn + click the hold knob for AUTO?

I left Auto as it is, at the begging. Then I would add some rules to the code, like: if HLD = Auto don’t modulate (if you want to modulate you should use a value different from Auto), and modulated result must be bigger than 0.

1 Like