Shipping synths

Bit of a random question - when shipping synths, drum machines etc., do you always double box them? I.e. synth in it’s original box and then put that inside another box with packing material?

1 Like

I would highly recommend that. Make sure the filling is full but not full enough it can’t absorb shock either. So equipment in box with bubble rap. Then packing peanuts full (but not too full) , then box. You also need to box things more or less securely depending if its going by plane or via road/rail.

2 Likes

The best synth-shipping tip is to cut a full-length piece of stiff foam that goes in the gap under the front of the keys to keep them totally stationary, then tape it in place. If there’s a joystick, cut a hole in a piece of foam and tape it in place over the joystick.

1 Like

Depends what I’m selling. I keep the original packaging which usually houses the hardware pretty securely then just bubble wrap the shit out of it and brown paper wrap that. Always found it too much of a faff getting a box for a box that would fit nice.

2 Likes

Good idea. I like it.

1 Like

If it’s a valuable keyboard £500+ I get a custom box made so I can double box it properly. I also cover the box in black polythene sheeting as it offers some protection against rain and cold. (Gorilla tape works best for securing it). My theory is that if it looks professional on the outside delivery drivers will treat it more carefully.

1 Like

Yes!