Shifting from hardware multitrack to DAW

Today the audio quality of most DAW is NOT correlated with price. There have been test reports stating that even cheap solutions provide professional audio quality. Even the entry level or LE versions of well known DAW developers have excellent audio performance. Those entry versions will mostly miss a set of additional plug-ins, effects, some pro-features of the GUI or of midi/audio editors. But they don’t stay back on audio quality.

If you want a multi-track recorder only (for a start), you might even get along with LE versions bundled with your audio-interface … (many have this option). Later you can upgrade, if needed.

1 Like

Fan not “Van” !! now I understand! I thought you made music in your van (automobile)

1 Like

Sorry :flushed:

1 Like

Something you will need to seriously consider is if you will want to make your hardware midi clock master or the DAW. For instance if you have done a bunch of work with an Octatrack and run other synths fron its sequencer you will probably want to keep that flow when tracking into a DAW.
To keep your hardware clock and transport sync you will want to slave the DAW. Ableton live does this very well…Cubase for instance will not work as slave.

1 Like

Hello @Rael ,

There are a lot of tricks in modern computer setups to ease your life with latency.

With Daw latency compensation, you can force your daw to wait for plugin treatment or external hardware Fx loop for instance so that every track remain in sync. works really well in my experience.

Modern soundcards lets you monitor direct signals (roots the incomming signals directly through the output with almost 0 latency).
Also, recordings are automatically realigned on your daw according to input latencies (buffers + A/D…) when you record.

Anyway with my PC + RME i have a 4ms roundtrip latency. If you go for a modern PC / mac + newer thunderbolt interfaces (appogee ect…) you can go as low as 2ms roundtrip. :smiling_imp:

If i where you coming from a hardware multitrack i wouldn’t feel bothered with latency, but definetly by the idea of using a mouse to make music! :wink:

2 Likes

If you go Apple, why not using Logic ? I think its unbeatable for 200,-$ And if you don’t use OB, because it introduce a lot of Latency you will need a sync-box like E-RM multi clock to have jitter free and tight sync. And yes: Investing in 6 year old Macs is not a good idea. Try to get something from 2015.

3 Likes

I wasn’t being rude BTW, no need to apologise, I had just misunderstood and thought it was funny

2 Likes

Yea that’s a huge consideration, though I would be happy setting OT as slave as long as it worked with the other elektrons daisy chained

good point. there is tons of great info about live

jepp. the price of logic is great for its value

I only use live for production in linear arrangement view. Solid functionality and stable.

3 Likes

ditto, Live is my tape machine with occasional plugin effects.

1 Like

No, it is fine
In dutch it is a simular word with a V