Sheltering Waves - Aleppo/Desensitized

5 Likes

Another cool track here Fred81. That rich pad sound, where did that come from?

Thank you. The pad sound is mainly :3lektron: Analog Keys. .thereā€™s nothing what that synth canā€™t do. There is a bit of Prophet 12 stacked over it and strings on L/R. But they are in just to support. I usually write all the gear I used; OP1 again going through a granular sampler, Moog for bass. Prophet 12 for main theme in the first part on the track, Analog Keys in the second. Mopho x4 for the arpeggios. Omnisphere for arpeggios. Drums are 909 samples, well some of them.

1 Like

Another nice one :slight_smile: great sounds and composition :slight_smile: would you mind sharing a little insight in to your sequencing/tracking process? Until about a year ago I was pretty much doing one thing at a time in to Daw. Still am mostly. But beginning to be more interested in evolving/sprawling electronic composition too. I kinda struggle with patience/housekeeping tho with sequencing/syncing on hardware and tend to be lazy and just manual sync a bunch of stuff in to Daw. Often one section or one box at a time. Which maybe isnā€™t such a bad thing. But it often kind of kills, or at least limits, the ā€˜evolving (in a natural way)ā€™ side of things :frowning:

Any advice/insight on effective workflow for these kind of pieces would be much appreciated, thanks!

Very nice. Very Dominick Fernow.

Thank man!
The way I record stuff is very simple and old-fashioned. I got all the synths connected via midi cables. Iā€™m not using midi usb because of the ground loop problems. The only synths which I got connected via usb are OP1 and Analog Keysā€¦ but I still prefer analog outsā€¦ Usually I donā€™t spend too much time working on a track unless I work with vocalistsā€¦ then it takes absolute forever because all the singers are %&*(Ā£s . Almost every track I do starts with a patch I make on a synth; it is a process which consumes the biggest amount of my time. This one started with a patch I did on Prophet 12, I recorded all parts into daw with midi, but not all of them were quantized, I like to keep them humanā€¦ I keep the midi files only because in 2 weeks I donā€™t remember how to play all the parts so I got a reference to go back to. The other thing is that midi allows me to get my hands on the controls and modulate. Plugin wise I use an awful lot. I suppose everyone likes to record things differently. Iā€™ve tried to change my habits a bit as I felt uninspired. Got Octatrackā€¦ spent 6 months on it only to realize it completely took over and I had no time for other instruments (Iā€™m actually a guitar player) so I went back to basics. 2 things I stick with; 1/ for my ambient stuff I got a deadline 48 hours to finish / record the track (excluding working on the synth sounds). Even if it isnā€™t perfect I have to let it go. This one took even less as I started it on Wednesday afternoon, made the video on Thursday and uploaded around midnight. 2/ Granular samplingā€¦ I put it everywhereā€¦ it just makes shit sound good :).
Iā€™m not sure if I answered any of your questions. If you are really interested I could make a deconstruction video .

1 Like

Thank youā€¦ Iā€™ve never heard of himā€¦ but will check him out.

Thanks for sharing insight on your process :slight_smile: Always interesting to hear how stuff you like is being put together.
I think Iā€™m doing things in a vaguely similar manner - often stuff begins from working on an AK/OT/op1 patch etc>program a sequence/s>record it to daw with manual sync>live overdubs in to daw>add more sections/arrange structure if needed.

Think Iā€™m going to take some insight from what you wrote and try using Daw more for midi transport start/sync and record live overdub notes in to Daw for external gear, instead of jamming them in from hardware straight to audio tracks. Sounds like a good way to centralise things and be able to focus more on modulation/performance/evolving etc :slight_smile: Thanks!

yeah really greatā€¦ those opening tremelo like textures are quite ben frost -y too (which is a good thing)

lol - the reference to the Middle East in the title? The overall style? Youā€™ve never heard of Vatican Shadow? I will struggle hard and believe you :wink:

yeah, itā€™s pretty similarā€¦ I think musicians somehow want to evolve their ways how they record to get outside their comfort zonesā€¦ and then they come back to their old setups:) Iā€™ve been working with cubase since like 1996/7ā€¦then 2 years ago I got into reaper and it seems that iā€™ll stick with itā€¦

1 Like

oh manā€¦ i donā€™t know what to think of your commentā€¦ anyway. seriously never heard of this guy. I googled him and apparently he works primarily with a mike and ampā€¦ well i do own a mic and amp. i listen mainly to prog :v:ļøhttps://www.last.fm/user/pawnbroker

sounds epic!

Sorry man, I was only joking. The resemblance was just striking to me. I wasnā€™t suggesting you were lying!

no worriesā€¦ I just played some Vatican Shadow and itā€™s cool. donā€™t see too much similarityā€¦ heā€™s much colder, techno-ish ā€¦

Thank you