Sharing sounds and parameters to other patterns : Kits

Coming from the A4 and Octatrack, I feel there was room for improvement with the Part/Kit structure instead of throwing it out together. A “simplified” mode where each pattern had its own part (but the ability to turn this off) didn’t seem that wild with all the work that already went into the A4 and OT. But history seems to say otherwise.

When I first got my A4, I didn’t understand kits and it drove me nuts at first. Then I learned how convenient it could be to have the same same kit across multiple patterns so if I tweaked a synth sound on one pattern, it would carry over to all related patterns. Now, with the DN not having kits, I’m dying over here. I have a bunch of patterns that have the same sounds, but if I want to make sure, for example, that the HARMONICS of each one is the same, I have to dial it in on every single damn pattern. It’s so obnoxious and it’s such a workflow killer. I feel like I must be missing something here.

4 Likes

No, you are not missing out something (besides copying is always faster than dialing everything separately in).

At least the possibility to configure a pattern to share the sounds of another pattern would be a godsend on the Digi machines …

2 Likes

Got my Digitone yesterday and noticed that, it’s sooooo annoying :frowning:

hope that the elektron crew release something to fix this soon, it’s very frustrating tweaking and then changing to the next pattern and get those cuts on the previous tweakings

1 Like

Sorry for the bad news, but they will not. It was a deliberate design decision to leave out the Kit concept from the Digitakt and Digitone (and now the M:S) to simplify these machines.

(one of them wrote about topics like these somewhere here on the forum)

But you can always send them a feature request by mail. Hope never dies :wink:

2 Likes

Well it worked with the trig conditions for the OT :smile:

I wrote cenk via Instagram a couple of years ago and finally it came :wink:

Hope they change their minds, it’s not a matter of kits, just an option of linking patterns would be the solution for me

Yeah I can’t do a smooth filter sweep across a basic 4 chord progression. Seems kind of crippling in any context. Even a simple menu diving option to “sound-link” tracks 1,2,3, or 4 would resolve this.

I’ll pile on…
I use up 4 midi tracks on my Octatrack sequencing the digitone to avoid pattern switching for this very reason.
A feature to turn off pattern->kit links globally would be all it would take.

1 Like

Dear Elektronauts,

The A4 offers this great Kit functionality, but afaik the Digitone does not.
Is there any workaround or functionality to achieve a similar behaviour on Digitone?

Example Scenario:

I am using Octatrack and Digitone.
OT is used for arranging the song, which means I use multiple patterns for one song. Lets just say pattern 01 for Intro, 02 for verse, 03 for refrain.

When playback starts with the Intro pattern 01, I want to make changes to the sound stored on DN pattern 01 Track 1. Eg. slowly open the filter.

As soon as the pattern changes, those changes are still there on the initial pattern, but only affect the specific sound on the specific pattern.

I want the changes to be carried over to the other patterns with that sound.
Is there any way to achieve this Kit-like behaviour on Digitone?

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on this!

I also use OT with DN, and I do this by sequencing the DN from the OT. I don’t let the DN follow the OT, but I send a program change on one of the channels that go to the DT.

In my workflow, each bank on the OT is 1 song, so if you send a program change on a midi channel, the DN will stay on the same pattern for that part on the OT.

I lose ease of p-locking (still works with some programming of the OT midi channels), but kit functionality is more important for me

1 Like

Another way to achieve what you want is to configure your DN patches to respond to aftertouch, mod wheel and breath control midi cc messages. For example open the filter and/or increase overdrive with increasing aftertouch. This way you can configure 4 midi tracks on your OT to send those cc messages to your DN. In addition, you can also use the 3 midi LFOs per track of the OT to modulate these parameters. Lots of fun to be had and parameter changes carry across patterns on the DN, as long as you don’t change parts on the OT.

2 Likes

That sounds like it has huge potential in it. Very much appreciated, I will give it a try!

1 Like

It has huge potential. Just imagine 12 LFOs manipulating 48 parameters on your DN at the same time and that is not even counting the DNs own LFOs :exploding_head:

Edit: Don’t forget that you can use 3 other midi tracks of the OT to sequence the 3 effects on the DN. Madness.

Yes I’m sequencing the digitone from the Octatrack, seems to be the only solution.
The lack of kits makes the digi series not gel with the other boxes very well,
Might sell my Digitakt because of this.

How are you achieving a plock On the digitone from the Octatrack?
Edit: thought you meant sound locks.
Also already doing cc p-locks

2 Likes

Hi all ,

Following here .
Last night during my Digitone session I came across to this “ issue ?! “
Creating integrating chords and using a few P locks ( ok I didn’t figure out yet how it works with the Fill mode ) and I finally copied the pattern to pattern 2 and 3 for example .

And sure I noticed even the pattern 1 chords volume changes are not transmitted to the same chords track on pattern 2 and 3 :confused:
Which at this point somehow very difficult to understand why it is In this way ?

So today 2020 . Remain the between the patterns there is no link or connection between them ?

P .

speaking of this, what’s the LFO setting that makes the LFO restart when the pattern loops?

I did end up selling my digitakt because didn’t like having to copy everything all the time…
I like to have the same sounds across multiple patterns and being able to change the volume or edit the sound etc and it carries across to other patterns like with kits on the AR/A4 and parts on Octatrack…
but find the digitone far less of a problem as there is only 4 tracks you can just hold down the sound selection button and copy all the sound settings and copy it across to another pattern…

2 Likes

Thanks mate ,
I love truly this machine and trying real hard to understand it :slight_smile: went into the manuals a few times .
I will try your advice and get use to it .

P.

1 Like

What do you mean with sequence the effects?

You can use the OTs midi tracks to send cc messages to the DNs effects parameters. For example p-lock the delay time on certain steps, put an LFO on reverb decay or chorus width. All good fun.

1 Like