SFX-6 DSP 2 Failed

Hello, Elektron friends. Long time no post.

I’ve had trouble with my SFX-6 for years now, and have finally tracked down the issue. According to diagnostics, DSP 2 has failed. Is there anyone in the US that can repair this?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Wish I could do more than say hi, for you. But, hi! :blush::blush:

2 Likes

Hello! It’s literally been years. Glad to see some old-timers are still here. I’ve lived, oh, 7 lifetimes since last we spoke.

2 Likes

an absolute legend returns! :raised_hands:

I think the best course of action is still to contact Elektron Support and start a ticket for the issue (I think you still can for the MnM… I hope so…). they’ll likely tell you to send it to the US repair center, which is in LA, last I checked. that’s the bad news, because the SFX-6 ain’t small.

alternatively, depending upon where you’re at these days, you may want to check around your area and see if there’s a synth repair person local to you who can repair it. it’s out of warranty of course, so there’s really no need to use Elektron to repair it. and you’re going to pay full price for the repair either way. might as well try to save yourself a couple hundred dollars on shipping if you can find a local person.

good luck! also, I’m jealous you still have the SFX-6!

3 Likes

Ha!

Great to hear from you as well, sir. I’ve got a ticket in with Elektron. Hopefully they’ll hip me to someone who can fix my second SFX-6. You had the first for long time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly, I’d be good with selling it as is. I want to get another Octatrack. But fixing it would be cool, too.

2 Likes

I could trade you my OT :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

only half-kidding… also it would depend upon what a DSP2 repair would cost…

1 Like

I’m down. Is it a MkII?

1 Like

it is! I will soon contact you directly about this.

3 Likes

I see @Nils

This thread is ful of Old Ones!

:blush::blush:

In case I never said it, @glaive - Thanks for elektron-users.com!

9 Likes

my only advice is if you go local, make sure they know how complicated digital synths or workstations work. Trying to get general music electronics (amp and keyboard type) repair people to look at synths has been a pita for me. If they don’t know how synths and computers work, they often miss something.

2 Likes

Spotted :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Nice to see you here again Glaive!

2 Likes

You, too! I’m still “Configurated for War” circa 2001 MD style.

2 Likes

You are most welcome. Actuel and I really bonded over that and played several shows together.

1 Like

I still argue with him in my head about gear, music, whatever, and often wish he was still with us. :pray::blush::heart:

5 Likes

Looks like my SFX-6 is bricked, as Elektron has no repair process for it, seeing as it’s a legacy product.

@darenager, @chiasticon suggested you might know of a path forward. Perhaps DSP 2 only needs to be reseated.

1 Like

I’m sad to hear that, but not surprised.

Fully working SFX-6s are becoming rarer by the day. Here’s a secondhand one up for sale for 4,000 USD:

4 Likes

IIRC they used a fairly common DSP the Motorola DSP56303 so if it is a faulty DSP might not be too difficult or expensive to fix. I’m not sure which kind of package the chip is, it might be surface mount, but it is a long time since I had mine.

Might be worth contacting a local reputable phone/tablet repair place to see if they can fix it?

5 Likes

Thank you for the advice. Sounds like a tech needs to take a look to see what kind of package the DSP chip is in.

2 Likes

Here is @automux MD teardown pic showing the DSP so probably the same.

https://www.elektronauts.com/uploads/default/original/2X/f/fbccd3db33cb735c9741457fbedf7f26e3359c5b.jpg

Edit: the DSP are the 2 smaller Motorola chips, also could be one of the components around the chip causing the error, a resistor or capacitor or diode etc shorting to ground maybe…

4 Likes