Setting up my hardware via MIDI over USB

Hey guys !
Not sure i’m in the right section but let’s try it !
If somebody tells me the right section i’ll move it quickly !
I was tired of unpluging and pluging MIDI cables each time i wanted to use my set up in a different way, so i bought a powered usb 3.0 hub (not the one from Elektron, one with a Type-B connector, looks more solid) and patched all my stuff inside it and did some tests.

Here is my setup:
-Analog Rytm MkII in overbridge, and sending clock and transport to the octatrack via midi cable (no other ways to sync it)
-A modular case receiving midi from the octatrak via midi cable
-DSI Tetr4 over usb
-TD-03 over usb
-Medusa over usb
-Novation launchkey mini over usb

I have no problem interracting with all my gear as long as i’m using ableton, when pressing play, everybody plays in time and i can play any of my synth on the midi network as long as i choose the right channel.

I WAS PRETTY SURE it was possible for the gears to communicate with each other via usb without any daw, just being on the same powered hub (something like, Rytm is the master and when i press play, all the gear connected to the hub would play and interact).

The fact is that it doesn’t work… i setted my Rytm to be the master an to send infos via midi+usb, but only the hardware linked with midi cables (octatrack and modular case) is running…

Did i do something wrong, or did i dreamt a supercool way to set my gear that doesn’t work? ^^’

Thanks !

You need to have a midi host to bridge the connections between all those devices. Once you have that your setup will work exactly as intended. In my setup I have an Ipad running the app midimittr which gives you similar control to a DAWs midi config without actually being a DAW. Hope that helps!

Hmm I think I see… Something like LoopMIDI should do the job right?

https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html

Hey there, for those who were interested in this subject i found the solution to this !

http://www.midiox.com/

This software let you configure easily your Midi usb network as you want, selecting witch machines are master and slave, work really nicely, i encountered some weird behavior while testing but i just closed and relaunched the soft and everything went fine.

You must start the soft, go in Options/MIDI Devices and then select who is the master and who are the slaves and enjoy !

PS: i didn’t mention it but all my test was with AR MKII as master in overbridge mode !