Setting up AH - from A4 out to soundcard to computer

Hi there,
I am thinking of getting an AH to warm up my A4 output and was wondering if I have it located between the A4 to my Motu sound card - using OBridge to Ableton - will the processed sound of the AH be recorded into Ableton?

Or would it be better to have the AH only attached via USB to computer and load it into the A4 chain in Ableton as a VST?

Thanks in advance.

I guess that depends on your preferred way of working.

If using Overbridge, your Motu is not relevant apart from as an output. Or am I missing something here?

If you are mostly using USB/Overbridge and your DAW, then I’d settle for that. Doing all the routings within Live. That’s a flexible way to handle things.

But if you wanna use the A4 and Heat without firing up your DAW, then an audio (line cables) connection is smarter. And you could use your Motu (well, depending on model) as a digital mixer without the DAW.

In my setup, the Heat is one tool that does not have a permanent connection. I make case by case decisions. Right now it’s on the output of my modular and fed into my Motu where I feed it to its own channel, but also to the inputs of my Octatrack. But no DAW or Overbridge. In this setup.

Both your scenarios are valid and doable. But what are your needs and preferences?

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I’m aiming to use it live in a hybrid setup going into one channel on my rane64, with the rytm on another channel, and serato on the remaining two channels…

I was more concerned with it for production in Ableton - but yes I see now that it can just be used as a plug in via USB on a grouped A4 channel.

Yes I too will have the AH move around in my setup.

Thanks again.

2 Likes