Setting up a Drum Rack to sequence Rytm's channels from Ableton

Hi everyone,
Today I have been trying to set up a drum rack in Ableton where each slot contains an external instrument set to channels 1-12. In theory this should allow me to write drum patterns in one midi clip for every channel of analog rytm without having to have a group of external instruments and write each voice separately.
The problem is that it doesn’t actually work, but works just fine if I set up separate midi tracks that contain external instruments, and for each midi track I set up corresponding midi channels 1-12 being sent to analog rytm. In the drum rack every pad sends note C1, since it is the default base note, so in theory it should all work, but unfortunately it doesn’t.
Has anyone tried doing this or knows what I could be doing wrong? Would really appreciate your help!

This is a bit too complicated! The Rytm can receive triggers for each sound / pad on the same midi channel. You just need to create a drum rack on an empty midi channel and route the signal to the Rytm. Check the Rytm´s settings to find out which midi channel it receives signals on, the setup can differ depending on your setup (standard Midi / USB Midi / Overbridge / …).

Always thought each sound has its own midi channel and is only accessible separately, there don’t seem to be any settings on rytm that allow you to set up to which midi notes each sound responds to on the same midi channel.
I have created a separate midi track in Ableton and at the same time I have another track as Overbridge which i just use for clocking and another one to feed audio from Rytm’s analog outputs.

Please go to Global - > Midi config -> Channels. You can set all Tracks to the same midi channel there.

1 Like

Ah I see! So once every track shares the same channel now midi notes control different tracks? Wouldn’t it just sequence every track at the same time?

Were you to read the Rytm’s manual section “MIDI NOTES”, you would find that the Rytm can play its sounds in response to MIDI note numbers 0 to 11 on the same MIDI channel without any further adjustment of settings.

4 Likes