SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

Coltrane is my favourite.

2 Likes

Absolutely love jazz.

I’ll buy every vinyl that has the ECM logo on it but I also appreciate ”spiritual jazz” in all its forms. Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders but also the new stuff coming out of Chicago via the International Anthem -label. I’d say that jazz is probably my favourite genre of music. Many of my favourite pop acts are somewhat jazz-leaning and even the best death metal comes from combining jazz with it (Atheist’s first three albums).

So yeah. I love jazz. I wish I was proficient enough to play it myself.

11 Likes

i love Coltrane, but ive always preferred Eric Dolphy as a horn player…

4 Likes

Jazz is the main thing I’ve always listened to. I have some jazz heroes that I always think about, almost like family members, maybe that’s weird, I don’t know. For example, how geniuses like Thelonious Monk or Bud Powell would have been able to survive today ? I mean, Bud Powell wasn’t even able to tie his shoes. Maybe Thelonious Monk would have made eletronic music ?

I’m also a big fan of John Zorn and Naked City, it still is a real great influence for me.

Also, I will never forget the first impressions (!) I had when I listened to this for the first time : John Coltrane / Ogunde The Olatunji Concert - YouTube
I bought the CD when I was 13 and I thought it was the apocalypse lol. I mean, my desk was shaking because of the loud saxophones, it’s dirty, it’s gritty, it’s fleshy, it’s badly recorded, it’s free free free, it’s beautiful, it’s awesome, it’s genius !

3 Likes

Here’s some young and contemporary (post-) jazz that I like:

https://www.districtfivequartet.com/

9:10NOW PLAYING
WATCH LATER
ADD TO QUEUE

3 Likes

Not this Elektronaut. I love all sorts of jazz from across the eras; particularly leen on Alice Coltrane at the moment. I don’t try to play or make jazz; but I love thick chords and scrunchy harmonies, ambiguous melodies and modal tones, all of which jazz uses a lot.

6 Likes

On the Corner is my compositional reference point. Don’t need modulation or melody, just setup some parameters and go. Teo Macero deserves a lot of credit for the record, chopping up and editing all the stems to create the overall structure. Chopping up and editing, most people use that process nowadays. Pete Coseys guitar is outstanding.

3 Likes

Love me some Nubya Garcia

Christian Scott

Kamaal Williams

9 Likes

Sunday is Sun Ra day in my house :rocket:

15 Likes

i love jazz but not everything, my personal preference is usually a trio of any sort playing freestyle, anything larger then that or more known / structured and i get bored pretty quickly…

3 Likes

Took me a long time to get to feel/understand in some way at least some islands in this vast genre. Miles Davis’ late 60s/early 70s phase, Jack DeJohnette and some others, mostly from that same period until the late 70s. I’m sure there’s a lot more out there, that I’d be into if I knew where to start looking.

1 Like

Not much of a jazz listener, but I do like Thelonious Monk, Jim Hall, and Ornette Coleman. And I enjoy studying jazz theory more than I like to listen to it; it is a fascinating and exciting approach to music.

2 Likes

Love it! Best gig I’ve ever been to was Soil and Pimp Sessions at the Sub Club in Glasgow about 16 years ago! God I’m old! Anyway, a Japanese outfit with some of the best musicians I have ever seen. They were incredible live. I listen to everything from The Clark Borland Big Band, Pharoah Sanders, Horace Silver, Les McCann etc to Mathew Halsall, Kamasi Washington, Yussef Dayes, Yussef Kamaal etc

2 Likes

wut … that doesn’t add up ime

If you don’t like some Jazz/(& evolutions-thereof) you can’t truly claim to be interested in music … it doesn’t mean liking it the most or buying it, but it’s kinda ridiculous to not have some appreciation that jazz was a key factor in where we are now

finding inspiration or solace or just joy from a variety of genres is very healthy

not sure i’d label the puzzling link as jazz myself

lots of jazz does nothing for me, but the same can be said of any genre, there’s good music in most serious genres and jazz is undeniably one of the higher art forms and certainly quite influential with many artists we might align with under an electronic music header - it takes a certain type of listening that we may be less used to these days

Jazz might not be a favourite specific genre of mine by a long way, but i’d have Miles pop into my head in any general question about ‘most important artist etc etc’

There’s a lot of great stuff you could find in and especially around the jazz section, what’s not to like, good music is good music

This is a ‘jazz’ record i was blown away with when it came out, still am, it’s astonishing and kinda depressing to find it’s so underappreciated that there’s only one link on youtube (although i suppose that’s teh ECM police for you too) - so you get a tiny tiny glimpse of the palette of sounds here and it’s not typical jazz, but they are all jazz players and it’s experimental and catchy and prodigiously talented - plus bonus synthy/sequence bits and a name and cover to match

here’s some talented chap with enviable chops playing along to a section - worth checking out but this exposes the issue, you have to find the good stuff - i used to buy the ECM stuff on the strength of the cover, the instrumentation or maybe artists, there was no easy way to hear it back then

5 Likes

Love jazz! Love me some hard bop, Hank Mobley, Stanley Turrentine, Kenny Burrell. Don’t really dig it when its fully passed the border to free jazz, but I love early Wayne Shorter starting to get weird but still catchy.

Love that balance between being challenged and staying catchy. My big contemporary jazz love is Chris Potter, his Underground stuff is just amazing.

Also love the last 10-15 years of jazz merging with electric, poppy, dubby. Wether English stuff like Gogo Penguin and likeminded bands like Mammal Hands, or all Skandinavian Legends the last 20 years (EST).

Visited Snarky Puppy a couple of times, including two times with the Dutch Metropole Orchestra, great stuff. Seeing Christian Scott (under his evolved name) upcoming month.

Definitely not hate jazz.

2 Likes

To at least share one link

4 Likes

I like this:

3 Likes

I don’t know what gave you that idea :sweat_smile:

But seriously

:heart_eyes:

8 Likes

I can enjoy it from time to time, but I don’t really appreciate it