SERIOUS: Do you like jazz?

I like drum and bass.

This track starts off with a great drum break, but then just hold on to the ride.

8 Likes

A jazzy NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert with Erykah Badu:

6 Likes

This has been my Sunday morning waking up tune for awhile now. Reminds me of Mulatu Astake

3 Likes

I was watching this film the other day and thought that sounds like Miles Davis.

4 Likes

“That was, for me, a good one. I don’t think anybody got it. Even Peter Brötzmann didn’t understand it. But Sonny Sharrock had started getting into louder and louder stuff, and he got interested in metal, and it was turning into something. I was interested in metal for sure, but it was this whole [huge] genre and a lot of it was pop stuff. Coming up under that, you had hardcore, which is what I was really interested in. But that interest wasn’t in me being sonically precise or professionally into hardcore, you know? But, even going right back, I liked Black Sabbath, you know? Then later on, when all those metal bands from LA were going really pop, I wasn’t too much into that. Then it was a good time to drift into something else.” - Bill Laswell

3 Likes

Shameless link to a track I just finished with another musician here in Tokyo. It’s sort of a dark lofi jazzy/experimental thing. We have a Japanese sax player that will be joining us on future tracks.

In related jazz news, I’m off to see Yussef Dayes at the Blue Note in Tokyo tonight.

3 Likes

I went to see Yussef Dayes last night as sort of an early birthday present from the wife. Really great show, amazing food and cocktails as well. I highly recommend checking out Blue Note Tokyo if you ever get a chance. It’s an amazing experience from start to finish.

6 Likes

Just hear this on the radio today. A classic with delicious twist:

2 Likes

Bill Laswell also did a great dub remix album of Miles Davis early 70s music. Epic stuff. For me even better than the very good work he did with Sonny Sharrock. –

2 Likes

“Limbo” from Miles Davis’ Sorcerer album. The album features five of my favorite Jazz musicians: Miles Davis, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, and Tony Williams:

5 Likes
2 Likes

The Koma thing is Incredible!!!

2 Likes

“Afro-Centric” from Joe Henderson’s Power to the People album. The musicians included:

• Joe Henderson — Tenor Saxophone
  • Mike Lawrence — Trumpet
  • Herbie Hancock — Fender Rhodes
  • Ron Carter — Electric Bass
  • Jack DeJohnette — Drums
4 Likes

“The Black Angel” by Freddie Hubbard. The musicians included:

• Freddie Hubbard - Flugelhorn
  • James Spaulding - Flute
  • Kenny Barron - Piano
  • Reggie Workman - Bass
  • Louis Hayes - Drums
  • Carlos Valdes - Percussion
3 Likes

Yeah Hidden shadows is one of my faves by Hancock
Early fusion right b4 the monsterous Headhunters

1 Like

Joshua Abrams. I hadnt realized how much stuff that dude has done since the 90s and everything is totally incredible that I heard.

1 Like
3 Likes

Also, funny stuff aside. Rita Payes is amazing.

7 Likes

Was just re-listening to Gary Bartz’s “ The Shadow Do” - helluva album. Just out of curiosity, I looked up the lineup…and OK no wonder - he had Michael Henderson, Mtume-Lucas AND the Mizell brothers on there as his band :
https://www.discogs.com/master/126249-Gary-Bartz-The-Shadow-Do

2 Likes

Just came across this and had to order a copy on vinyl. That flute is incredible. This is exactly the kind of sound I had in mind when started studying the flute a few years back. I love this vibe.

1 Like