SERIOUS: Do You Like 80's Artists?

In a recent attempt to provide my uncle with 80’s records, ipso facto that our musical passion can survive, I kindly ask upon the great minds here to aid me in recommending 80’s bands/solo acts, songs, or albums that were either mega hits back in the day, unnoticed beauties, and/or source materials that also may have been heavily sampled/ structured from. Similar to the ongoing jazz thread, but with a focus on 80’s synth/punk/new-wave. Any recommendations are kindly appreciated!

edit
As per request by @Boxymusic a playlist has been created containing all of the tracks shared on this thread that will be updated somewhat regularly, and can be accessed by the following link:

ELEKTRONAUTS - 80s Playlist on Youtube

3 Likes

I’ll start with this one

6 Likes

Putting on the kettle, and warming up my speakers…

4 Likes

Yellow Magic Orchestra, “Light in Darkness” (1981).

7 Likes
7 Likes

These are getting me charged up for a battle that didn’t exist :muscle: He’s heavy into Depeche Mode btw, so that was a spot on recommendation @alechko, thanks!

@jing_cenric that was such a sweet sleeper! The basslines on there have my mouth watering :beers:

1 Like

maybe it’s too kitschy but I like 'em…

7 Likes

These are all so fresh to me! I irrationally avoided anything 80’s, for longer than necessary because I somehow processed that my uncle was estranged from our family, but I’m starting to get him a lot more, as the days go by. Thanks for hookin it up with the fresh flavors :muscle:

2 Likes

I highly recommend Alphaville and their '84 album ‘Forever Young’. The title track is probably the best known, but the others are good too, I really like the synths on ‘Sounds Like A Melody’.

6 Likes

oh man this is sooo good, totally forgot about these!

2 Likes

The 80s was also the golden era of music videos, so you’re in for a treat from that angle, too.

2 Likes

mega mega mega hit

1 Like
6 Likes

No, absolut the dumpest song ever written. And both dudes are absolute idiots.

3 Likes

Thanks for asking by the way … I could for sure carry on digging in my memory for the rest of the day. :grimacing:

9 Likes

can’t argue with that :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, this is a physical fact, sorry😂

1 Like
8 Likes

I feel like such a baby here :baby: Thank you so much for these gems :beers: Everything is fresh regardless of your opinions!

I’m hearing so many soundtracks to my childhood, it’s nuts :older_man:

Might be an idea to go through John Peel’s Festive Fifties for inspiration

I’m curious what you lot were listening to in the 80s actually… Most of the decade is a massive void for me (totally unlike the 60s, 70s and 90s)

2 Likes