Prophet X from Sequential

emailed DSI today asking if we might ever see the Prophet X in desktop form factor… looks like the guts of the Prophet X are too big to fit in that format. A bit of a bummer for me as it seems like that would have been a cheaper way to possible get my hands on the X some day but also kind of nice to know they really are packing a lot into the box. Part of me feels like they could just make the desktop unit taller but I suppose they probably aren’t looking to figure out how to split the boards apart to make something like that happen. Guess I will have to keep looking for a prophet 2002 and prophet 3000 for my DSI rack sampler needs :smile:

Interesting, and informative answer. Lots of companies would say things like, “We don’t comment on future products.” Instead to say, ‘it won’t fit’ befits a company like Sequential. They have made desktops of some of their other products.

As far as cheaper, buy the PX used. For instance there is one on Reverb for $3350 with free delivery, which seems to me a good price.

Prophet X User Sample Support in Beta

So that explains some things for me – It is 8Dio that is doing the sample preperation software not Sequential. Makes sense now that i think about it. Smart of Sequential to tap a good partner with this sort of expertise to handle something like this.

Sequential promised to deliver sample support for X/XL in December. They kept their date and delivered it on time with no excuses unlike some others. It is refreshing to see a synth company keep their word to customers and meet their deadlines. Thanks Sequential.

3 Likes

Just grabbed a Prophet Xl this morning, building up the Polyphonic armoury after selling off a ton of synths a while back. Going to combine this with the Waldorf Quantum I’ve ordered so Sounds From The Shed will be pumping out some mean sounds in the next few weeks.

Cant wait, should have it by Tuesday :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Ended up in a synth shop on vacation and got to check out the Prophet X… Holy cow definitely grabbed me right away. The filter on it sounds really great (mostly messed with the prophet 5 samples in it), I’m already used to the DSI work flow so I was pretty quickly at home building little sequenced lines and what not. Really is a beautiful instrument. Like wise spent some time with the Moog One, P6, OB6, and forgot to play the Quantum :sweat_smile:.

Really Prophet X is pretty special imo I found it really can handle its sounds going from 1 voice and sounding like a nice juicy mono and then 8 voices and sounding like a big poly all on the same patch. In a way that none of the others really could do in my time with them. Still not sure if I will ever own one but it is certainly top of the pile of big synth I would like to have some day now.

2 Likes

reading this in 2021. haha.
unfortunately it appears that respecting a deadline does not necessarily equals to quality, maturity or usability.
now sequential even has the toupet to promote 3rd party softwares for sample import on their machines instead of the official one :sweat_smile:

Anyone using one of these? I’m drawn towards it. Prophet synth character and samples in a keyboard. Not the worst combo I’ve heard.

2 Likes

It looks fantastic, I’d love to try one. If only they didn’t cost eleven billion dollars…

First the Waldorf was the polyphyonic sampler I was interested in but now the X may be more appealing for my music than the Quantum. I don’t have the room for too many keyboards and a sampler focused synthesizer would be more useful than all the engines on Quantum. An Elektron keyboard sampler could be interesting.

1 Like

Granted, it’s had some issues with the sample import (and file management) process but it’s the most inspiring and deep instrument I’ve ever owned - pure gold :blush::+1:

Getting one was the best decision I’ve made for the studio - insane sample library loaded, prophet sounding oscs, magic stereo filter (with separate LR to assign to in the mod matrix), 4 LFOs, 4 envelopes, great dual FX - endless possibilities (even adjusting to 12/8 bit per patch for that old school sampler feel) :blush::+1:.

1 Like

Seems a bit too heavy for “buy to try, sell if I don’t like”, but I’m sure the rest of us will enjoy your “trial” with it.

2 Likes

I know, right?

I’m sworn to the Prophet 12. Someone told me recently, the X is like that but with samples instead of wavetables. Which sounds just perfect to me.

2 Likes

Whoa. Found one second hand, stupid cheap. The value on these babies really drop once you get one. At least around here, a Prophet 6 or OB-6 you can more or less sell for retail second hand, but them X’s, doesn’t seem to be like that at all.

I have not, however, bought it :slight_smile: this will take some time to decide.

Do it do it do it do it.

The crowd goes wild!!!

Go CG, go CG, go CG, go CG.

1 Like

Haha :slight_smile: nah, after a few sessions on the tube, I’m feeling I won’t go for this. I don’t expect the ProphetX to work samples like an Octatrack, but perhaps slightly more experimental than what it seems to be now, would be something.

I’m not really finding any demos where anyone does anything interesting with the samples, other than making it sound like a very cool Prophet 5, Arp2600 or why not a grand piano. And that’s great, but not what I’m after.

So I’m letting this one go now.

1 Like

1 Like

Yes, I own one. It is a fantastic synth, but the sample side of it is a bit… bread and butter. In my opinion, the PX sounds unbelievably good and is very easy to work with. Two minutes into making a new patch and I already get lost jamming, getting ideas for new themes, etc. instead of what I was supposed to be doing. :slight_smile: It has a kind of mellow, soft vibe to it that I love, but still sounds huge. The stereo signal path makes a big difference.

Perhaps I’m not seeing the potential of the samples, but I tend to just use the two sample sound sources as extra oscillators or to add some extra body to a sound (to add some sampled strings to a synth string patch, for instance). I suspect anyone buying this expecting either a rompler or sample mangling beast would be a bit disappointed. In my head it is more of a great-sounding classic polysynth with some very cool extras.

2 Likes