Prophet X from Sequential

I wonder how any sample manipulation (trim, slice etc.pp.) will work out on the device itself. The displays seems not really fit for showing waveforms …

1 Like

I’d rather use Kontakt and the price is pretty extreme. There are a lot of nice things you can buy with 4000 dollars.

2 Likes

I was going to get the Nord Electro 6 but now I may want the PX. Do they seem similar to anyone? Both layer samples on top of piano string sounds. Aside from the gross price difference I’m leaning towards PX.

BUT the PX isn’t (iconic) red :wink:

1 Like

They don’t seem similar to me. They might to someone who doesn’t know anything about synthesis (no offense - I have friends and family that don’t know synthesis and I love 'em anyway). The “synth” section of the Electro 6 is just a library of synth samples.

What is your priority? A stage piano/organ? Or a pro-level synth? If the former, go for the Nord… The latter doesn’t have the polyphony you’d want to piano parts.

i think quantum is very different. it has 4 GB for samples. Pro X has 50 GB (+150 GB built in). That means you can really sample each key in multiple layers (maybe… no real specs on that, but the piano sounded like that)…
so the real deal is/or would be to add different samples to each key… so in general you should be able to add some short stems (lets say) to the left hand part and play a different layer on the right hand…
still, its all about what happens, when you really play it and how easy it is to create sounds… i have a lot of waldorf gear and its great, but really hard to program… all DSIs i have are pretty much super direct and easy to program and all the parameters really are designed to always give you the sweet spot… thats whats makes the difference to me.
At the end just press a key and hear a sound really will not give you any advantage over a computer… but really playing (!!!) with all the parameters live. a lot of people seem to use samples just “static”… dial in and loop… but playing with all the parameters give me that spice and unexpected sounds… kontakt vs Pro X or Quantum is maybe the same like comparing octatrack with ableton… i prefer a intelligent designed instrument that supports your expression as a musician like octatrack or, well Pro X…so Pro X is nice as soon as you can upload your own foley/modular crazy samples and go wild with all the modulation options :slight_smile:

I would be interested what percentage 8DIO takes with the sales of this synth?
I would much prefer the option of buying this synth with none of their samples onboard, just a nice clean slate ready to upload your own user samples only.
I bet that would shave a huge chunk off the RRP and bring it into a price range more accessible to the public.

1 Like

I am absolutely certain they’re only getting a tiny sliver of the sales price of each synth, maybe even as much as nothing at all.

Having their name printed on the front panel of a flagship DSI synth and being associated with the “Dave Smith”, “Sequential”, and “Prophet” brand names is probably worth a hell of a lot more to them in terms of brand recognition and marketing.

2 Likes

Huh, how are you absolutely certain :loopy:
We could only possibly believe that claim if your name was Dave Smith or you worked for DSI or 8DIO.
A cheaper Prophet X-LE without 8DIO would be a good option imo

2 Likes

Look at the pricing of the other DSI instruments (and keep in mind that the X has 16 filter circuits built-in).

1 Like

I guess we will never no, unless he brings out a cheaper PX-LE model :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Guess !

It’s less than $1000 and more than $500.

150 gig would be many many of their libraries which sell for $250 - 500 singly which is a medium cost. Plus what is it worth to DSI for these to be included. I say they are central to the sound and define this synth (regardless on whether it appeals to you.) Plus DSI synths other than this are $2000 - $3000. So that’s what i base my useless guess on.

There no doubt is a volume slide off too, and maybe a cap – a million and a half?

ADDED: You can also buy additional 8DIO samples as well and for sure they’ll get a larger cut on these.

I agree, Desktop versions are popular with DSI so i wouldn’t doubt a cost reduced version.

I agree. I can’t see DSI selling the X I’m large quantities. Just too niche and expensive. But I do see a lot of learning or reminded of 8dio.

I hadn’t even come across them until the X was announced. They are Def on my radar now though!

Solid State (Nick) talks to DSI’s Gerry Basserman, who gives a slightly different presentation to this.

Possibly the worst demo I’ve seen of any instrument ever

Word of warning: you will never get these 12 minutes back

4 Likes

lol… still though the machine looks incredible and unfortunately will undoubtedly be waaaay out of my price range.

1 Like

I thought roland demos were bad but that opening 20 seconds is so bad its spoof like, reminds me a bit of that timber wolf piss take, not a good way to make an expensive synth appealling.

2 Likes

I like Inhalt’s DSI/Sequential demos.

yup just a percentage point or less. or maybe zero dollars per synth sold - and dave just paid them a flat rate. if I was 8DIO (never heard of em) i’d love this all this advertising. many people will be buying their sample packs now, especially those that can’t afford a PX.

i look forward to picking up the behringer clone w/ external and internal resampling, 32+ voices and 8-part multitimbrality, at $499.

2 Likes