Sequencing multiple synthesizers (Octatrack)

Hello everyone.

I’ve been using an A4+Octatrack for a few years now and will soon purchase a Rhythym.

I was wondering if someone can clarify a few questions I have around sequencing multiple synthesizers using the Octatrack. I’ve also referenced previous forums (Sequencing multiple external instruments) but I’m still struggling with my midi device.

If I daisy chain the octatrack + A4 + etc using the MIDI THRU - then everything works as expected, however I purchased a 4x4 Midi In/OUT device hoping this would simplify the process and also let me sequence my synths that only have MIDI IN (no THRU).

Ideally I’d output the octatrack midi out to one of the 4 midi in channels on the 4x4Midi device (for the sake of this exercise lets say MIDI INPUT1), and then depending on the channel I set on the octatrack - I’d want for it to send midi to one of the 4 outputs on the 4x4 device, however irrespective of what channel I am setting on the octatrack - it’s only sending notes to the MIDI OUTPUT1).

Is this the expected behaviour?

This is currently what I’m using – https://www.amazon.com/MIDI-4x4-USB-interface/dp/B00VHL5HOA

I also checked my OSX MIDI settings to see if there is some kind of routing I can do but it’s not possible - the only way I can seem to use the interface is if I control it through Ableton, but I am wanting to control everything from the octatrack without daisychaining.

Thanks

…after doing some more research - I’m guessing I’ll need something like this:

Hey, yes it seems your initial solution has no internal routing for midi data. So In1 go to Out1, In2 to Out2, etc.

I’d recommand you go with that

It’s not really cheap but will provide any kind of routing you want, as well as filtering midi and also a USB host that I’m using for the OP-1 for instance.

You can also manage all the option with a smartphone and the dedicated app, so no computer at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you’ll need an Octatrackatrack and an Analogalog 4.:wink:
With the Dark Trinity only, daisy chain might be ok.
If you add synths without Thru, the Quadra Thru seems fine, the IConnectMidi4 is a better solution for different purposes.

1 Like

+1 on the iConnectMidi gear… i have an iConnectMidi4+ and have my OT sending midi out to all my hardware… including the Analog 4… which then send CV out to modular stuff…

The OT is the master clock and sequencing hub with the iConnectMidi4+ acting as the bridge

2 Likes

Yup. One more for the iConnect Midi4 if you wanna avoid your computer.

Brilliant piece of kit.

The Mio4 (same company) is a little bit cheaper, but does not offer the iOS audio routing. But seems to work identically otherwise.

Thanks everyone, i’ll give it a shot

I have a Roland A880. No computers at all. I consider a smartphone as a computer.

I saw a lot using Iconnectivity stuff, do you have any issue regarding clock jitters ?