Sequencing modular

So, I’m new to modular. I recently acquired a modest little rig with mostly Doepfer stuff – quad VCLFO/VCO (A-143-4), triple VCF (A-127), complex envelope generator/LFO (A-143-1), dual VCA (A-132-3), matrix mixer, attenuator/verter, MI Clouds, and a couple other utilities. I’m trying to spend my time with this stuff and get to know it well before I go further down the money pit…but I know I’m going to want a proper sequencer sooner than later.

Ideas that come to mind:

• Korg SQ-1: pretty cheap and could scratch the itch for a long time.
  • Make Noise Rene v1: I’m seeing one locally for relatively cheap. Seems like a crazy machine, but isn’t that what this modular stuff is all about? I suppose this route will also involve getting a clock module…a classic “you give a mouse a cookie” situation.
  • A MIDI to CV module: I don’t really know about this option, but…I own a Digitakt (the main brain of my vanilla synth setup) and could see this being a way of both sequencing my bleeps and bloops and also integrating with my MIDI stuff. I’m not really sure what the drawbacks of this option are…

So far the SQ-1 seems to be the clear leader in terms of sequencing over CV, MIDI integration, and price point. But I’m wondering what you all think.

If it helps: I would say my goals, broadly and as far as modular goes, are to explore slightly less conventional sound and music creation (conventional ~= “western harmonic music”).

Ive got a very small euro rack set up. (2 voices, tons of modulation/utilities) I use the midi to cv converter in the Pitsburgh SV1. Sequence the modular from my octatrack.

I did have a SQ1. Didnt get on with it.

OT wins.

Have you considered the Keystep Pro? It has cv and midi, and a 4 track sequencer.

The Beatstep Pro as well, and its about $100 cheaper.

1 Like

Squarp just released Hermod+

So it means:

1. You could go with Hermod+
  2. You could find cheap Hermods on the second hand market very soon

It’s different from the Elektron way because you can record say some keys into it freely like you would in a DAW (with polyphony) AND it has MIDI effects that can be very fun (generative stuffs)

It works as a MIDI to CV converter, can record external CV, can be 8 LFOs, can be 8 EG(Hermod+), can talk to your computer and of course, handle CV.

Now, it’s a rather “traditional” sequencer so might not be what you’re looking for but I did use it to create very cool stuffs not possible with Elektron: Connect a keyboard via MIDI to it and filter MIDI notes into 2 ranges (lower note, do nothing, higher notes add delayed randomized notes in the key of the song). Did use it to add extra stuffs to Elektron boxes too (arpeggio for the AR)

An SQ-1 is a reasonable place to start. It is very cheap, it can run one or two sequences, and it will play with MIDI gear with an adapter.

Weird flexible experimental sequencing is one of the reasons to play in modular. Instead of a sequencer, you could use a clock divider, square LFOs and comparators. Or you could cascade a few MATHS. Or you could try one of the numerous sequencer modules

You could approach modular as a way to solve a particular problem. Or you could approach modular as a way to explore various aspects of music in an open-ended way. Whichever way you choose, it can be helpful to write down objectives and a corresponding budget. Revisit and update these items as you progress.

4 Likes

get a rene mk1 and a 4ms rcd (guess you still need a clock, but there are a million ways to get that. would recommend maths as well). some of the best ideas ever in eurorack for an amazing price + endless discovery.

unless you’re trying to realize very specific compositions, i can’t think of a better introduction to modular sequencing that will last you the whole journey

1 Like

Go for the Digitakt and a midi to CV converter. The Hermod/Hermod+ is also a good option because you can either use it standalone or together with the Digitakt.

3 Likes

I recently have been using Digitakt with the Expert Sleepers FH-2 to sequence my eurorack. I highly recommend this combo - the FH-2 is super-flexible and easy to set up via the browser interface. Tons of extra features that I haven’t even touched yet.

That said, if you are looking for something more immediate, yet “slightly less conventional”, definitely take a look at Make Noise 0-Ctrl. I like it a bit better than the SQ-1. Both are straight-forward to learn, but the 0-Ctrl can be integrated with the modular a lot more effectively.

2 Likes

Maybe the SQ-1 at first: you can use it until you know whether you want the wickedness of modular sequencing (its a very good sequencer) or the practicality of MIDI sequencing (using its MIDI-CV). After which, you’ll still have a great box that can do a ton for your modular.

3 Likes

This is a great point - IMO one of the top reasons to get into modular is to deconstruct what’s otherwise often assumed to be connected - e.g. pitch and gate when you press a key on a keyboard or program a note into a piano roll. By separating these out and using LFOs, dividers and other widgets to generate them you can get some intriguing sounds not possible from a ‘traditional’ synth. If you want more traditional sounds I don’t think modular gives you the same bang for buck and takes a lot more time.

So with that in mind I think a great option would be… an A4! it’s got your traditional synth sounds covered as well as a CV track for sending note, gate, envelopes, LFOs to your modular via any one of it’s four CV outputs. And you can send your modular outputs back into the A4 for more processing (either as a source for one of the synth engines - add more filtering, overdrive etc - or just to add a bit of delay, reverb or chorus). And used A4 MK1s are dirt cheap ATM, especially when you consider the cost of modular gear…

4 Likes

Mutant Brains is a great midi to CV convertor. I’ve used one for a long time and sequenced with an mc707 and digitakt.

I had that and just could not get on with it. I found the setup too confusing and every time I wanted to use it, it just felt like it got in the way of making music. Shame as on the face of it, the FH2 did it all for me (using a DT or Drambo as controllers).

Maybe one day I’ll try again, maybe with something more simple like Mutant Brain.

I do have a Roland CMU800 with a midi interface, that’s kind of fun, and it’s killer feature is 4 channel CV/Gate from one midi channel, useful for para/polyphony.

For reasons articulated by the OP and others in this thread, the SQ-1 is a good way to start.

I have a “battleship” sequencer module, CV.OCD for MIDI to CV, and three synths with sequencers and CV pitch/gate out. But often I find myself using generative modules like Marbles (Pachinko) or Stochastic Inspiration Generator. Each of these offers varying degrees of control over note distributions and the possibility of capturing loops. I don’t seem to have a lot of patience for sequencing when it comes to modular. That could change.

it partly depends if you have other gear you also want to sequence along side the modular or not.

personally… I started with a midi <-> cv module (and often still use the Hermod in this ‘mode’)
as you have a digitakt, Id definitely be looking at something with midi <-> cv,

but its nice, to be able to sequence the modular without other… and the Hermod really comes into its own if you want to also sequence other (midi) gear at the same time.
especially the Hermod+ as it has separate midi tracks.

however, make noise rene is also an important diversion…
its sequencing style is very to traditional linear sequencers, and can be useful if you want to try different approaches.
(I was sorely tempted by one, but ended up coding one up on my SSP instead :wink: )

I also bought an Frap Tools USTA, because I wanted a more ‘analog’ sequencer like experience, and again, one that is rather different to a traditional linear sequencer.

so its kind of important to know what you want from a sequencer… do you want a more conventional approach, or something a bit different… this is why its quite common in eurorack to see people with multiple sequencers… or even using using switches.

(though be aware of the complications of using multiple sequencers … its fun, but can be tricky to get things working together nicely!)

1 Like

If you have the time, I’d like to hear more about your experiences in working with Hermod/Hermod+ and Usta simultaneously.

FH-2 and a launchpad also gives you sequencing options, also generative sequencing (euclidean) apart from digitakt. It is one of the options I find most interesting for this use case, but have not tried yet personally.

SQ-1 = cheap, simple (yet complex), awesome, just get one, it’s always helpful and work all the time.

Rene V1 = my favorite euro sequencer, super weird and awesome, just make musical pattern very easy and performative. For the actual second hand price it’s a steal.

Midi ti CV = great for super precise stuff but not my favorite option. I would advise a simple one to start with before you buy a super crazy one that you use only for 10% of it’s ability.

4 Likes

I have only started with modular as well so my advice is only based on my experience.
I am using OT as a sampler playback (drum 1 shot) and a mixer for my modular.
I am using a Torso T-1 with a Befaco MidiThing: 4 gates and 4 cv outputs.
I am now looking at a modular sequencer for 3 voices, something less traditional than what I have. Sequencing modular from OT did not convince me.
Since you have a DT, the Befaco MIDI Thing would pair well with DT :slight_smile:

I was going to alert you to the new Hermod+ but if you are reading this thread you will have noticed. An intriguing option I will keep my eye on.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I had indeed noticed this one as well :slight_smile:
Though I am still looking for something less menu diving, more direct.
In the end, for what I am doing (mainly techno, minimal), it seems something more simple than a T-1 or an OT :slight_smile:

1 Like