Sequencing Minilogue XD

I’ve been playing around with my Minilogue and Octatrack for the past few weeks: creating samples, using the Octa to trigger the Minilogue. However, I ran into an issue.

The note lengths aren’t exactly what I’d like when I’m making my music, so I was hoping I could utilize Midi out from the Minilogue to trig on the Octatrack. When I started sync all my gear up, I figured it would be fairly straight forward, but I ran into peculiar errors when I tried to play back what the Octrack picked up from the Minilogue XD’s midi.

Both units began to flash. The Minilogue was changing programs, and the Octatracks trigs were unresponsive.

I’m still relatively new to linking gear, so I’m not exactly sure what is going on, or what if anyone has any recommendations.

All the best

Edit: Realized what I was doing wrong

I was trying to utilize a thru box to hook up all of my gear, so both the Minilogue and Octatrack were receiving their own signals and creating errors. Now that they’re hooked up directly to one another, there isn’t any issue with sending and receiving midi, and I can get the lengths I can trig the midi notes and length from the Minilogue XD.

Hey,
my recomendation is to send a midi sequenz from the octatrack to minilogue xd.
I use octatrack and digitone, o coast and minilogue xd.
digitone is the master midi out to midi in from octatrack. The midi out from the octatrack goes to the midi in from the midi thru box. midi thru box goes from one out to the o coast and from another out to the minilogue.
Minilogue is set to midichannel 1.
Octatrack sends from miditrack 1 (set to midichannel 1).
I hope its a little help for you
excuse my english
greetings Tobi

Personally I use my Digitone rather than my Octatrack to sequencer the Minilogue xd. My reason is the Digitone supports the full bank select that the xd requires so I no longer have to keep writing manual patch notes in the OT Arranger. Yay!
Mind you the xd suffers from ‘linear decay’ syndrome (same as the Digitone) which limits it somewhat for sequencing duties.

What does this mean? Thinking of hooking an XD to my Syntakt in order to sequence ST>XD.
Thx for your help!

Being old, the shape of each envelope stage is of particular interest to me, especially the decay (when applied to, say, filter cutoff). If you think of classic envelopes from synths that we know and love, I can’t think of any that have a linear decay - linear just lacks that zappiness so nice for fast acidy passages. I still really like my Minilogue XD and I’ve come to accept a few shortcomings here and there (e.g. there’s a click from the digital oscillator which bugs me but Korg, after initially accepting there was an issue, decided that hardly anyone else cared so it wasn’t worth the effort of sorting out).

2 Likes

Ok, I see. How would you compare it to the delay of Minilogue OG and Monologue?

I wouldn’t personally touch either of those due to their envelopes being Korg’s awful ‘rtz’ type (first seen on the Prophecy IIRC). I made sure the XD’s envelopes at least mimicked the ‘start from existing voltage’ behaviour of a hardware envelope prior to purchase.

1 Like

Ok, will do a side-by-side comparison in a big store.
I found the envelope of the Monologue not quite satisfying and thought, the bigger ones were be better.