Sequencing a machinedrum from an analog four

Hi everybody,

simple simple,

how can i link the patterns of my A4 to the patterns of the sps1?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum!

What have you tried so far to achieve your goal?

I read te A4 manual but there is nothing about it. I linked via midi the machines but, hey, can you help me?

A4 do not sequence external gear with midi, only with CV/GATE/TRIGGER.
MachineDrum do not get sequenced by CV/GATE/TRIGGER.

Bottom line: you CAN NOT sequence the MachineDrum with your A4 (except if you covert CV to MIDI with a RARE external device).

You can sync the sequencer of the A4 and MD though

The Elektron machines use MIDI Program Change messages to link their patterns.

The relevant settings for the Analog Four are in the MIDI CONFIG and MIDI channels menus (page 47 and 49-50 of the v1.21 manual).

The relevant settings for the Machinedrum are in the PROGRAM CHANGE menu (pages 60-61 of the manual).

Give it a try and let us know what you did and how it went.

1 Like

Abacom appears to be asking about linking patterns between the two machines.

Abacom appears to be asking about linking patterns between the two machines.[/quote]
Ooops. Sorry.

2 Likes

The relevant settings for the Analog Four are in the MIDI CONFIG and MIDI channels menus (page 47 and 49-50 of the v1.21 manual).

The relevant settings for the Machinedrum are in the PROGRAM CHANGE menu (pages 60-61 of the manual).

Give it a try and let us know what you did and how it went.[/quote]
Thanks, tomorrow I will try to do it. I suppose that using The Md as master is the same, isn’t it?

Thanks everybody,
the PC messages work great!

2 Likes

Give it a try and let us know what you did and how it went.[/quote]
Thanks, tomorrow I will try to do it. I suppose that using The Md as master is the same, isn’t it?[/quote]

It’s exactly the same concept, but obviously with the send settings for the MD and receive settings for the AF.

If you feel more ambitious with using the MD as master in the future, you can use the MD to send MIDI Note messages to any AF patterns at any sequencer step by making use of the Multi Map feature of the AF. But that’s a bit more advanced.

1 Like

Thank you,
although I don’t know why I should send note message to the A4 from another gear.

Thanks everybody,
[/quote]
Thank you,
although I don’t know why I should send note message to the A4 from another gear.[/quote]
As I mentioned, if you ever want to have more sophisticated control of the AF’s patterns from the MD, you can use the Multi Map feature of the AF so that the MD can trigger any pattern on the AF instead of just the corresponding pattern (for example, pattern A02 triggers pattern C05 instead of A02), or can launch a new pattern on the AF from any step on the sequencer (instaed of only when the MD pattrn changes). But, if you don’t need those features, you don’t need to worry about them.

1 Like

Thanks everybody,
[/quote]
Thank you,
although I don’t know why I should send note message to the A4 from another gear.[/quote]
As I mentioned, if you ever want to have more sophisticated control of the AF’s patterns from the MD, you can use the Multi Map feature of the AF so that the MD can trigger any pattern on the AF instead of just the corresponding pattern (for example, pattern A02 triggers pattern C05 instead of A02), or can launch a new pattern on the AF from any step on the sequencer (instaed of only when the MD pattrn changes). But, if you don’t need those features, you don’t need to worry about them.[/quote]
You are right, and you can use it to control machines with no sewuencer… but it’s very complex I think