Sequencer stopped working with clock receive on

This might be an Octatrack or an A4 issue. Or I might have configured something by accident.

When using the A4 MIDI-synced with the Octatrack, the sequencer worked as long as I had clock receive disabled. Then once I turned that on, whenever I pressed play on the Octatrack the sequencer on the A4 just stopped on the first step and would not run. It was the same when I pressed play on the A4.

When I turned off clock receive it still wouldn’t run until I rebooted the A4. Even with the Octatrack MIDI cable disconnected, the problem was still there. Again, the sequencer would not run before I rebooted it. Some of the times I rebooted the A4 just froze on the intro screen.

I tried reinstalling the firmware (1.40a) on the A4. Tried different MIDI cables. Tried calibrating the A4. Still the same.

I hope that made sense.

BUT THEN once I started a new Octatrack project, the problem was solved.

Any idea what might have happened here? I need to know in case this happens while I’m in the middle of working with a project. Luckily I had just started a new one this time.

What are your midi connections?
Possibly a midi feedback…
A4 or OT set to clock Send AND Receive?

The Octatrack was set to send clock only, and not receive. The A4 was set to receive only.

I also tried skipping the MIDI Quadra Thru and going directly from Octatrack to A4.

Can you reproduce the issue?

And did you activated Transport Send on OT and Transport Receive on A4 ?

1 Like

Well, it does behave exactly the same way when I turn off clock send on the Octatrack. Except that shouldn’t have any effect on pressing play on the A4, right?

Yes, I did activate Transport send on OT and Transport Receive on A4. The strange thing is the sequencer did not work on the A4 afterwards until I rebooted, even if I disconnected the Octatrack.

I just checked with OT MKI 1.31 and A4 MKI 1.40A. No problem.
OT transport/clock send, A4 transport/clock receive.

1 Like

Just an update: This has never happened again. I’m pretty sure it was a user error of some sorts.