Sequence ANALOG RYTM with BEATSTEP PRO

Is this possible?

When I hit the pads on the BSP I can only year the bass drum, but I can’t figure out how to play the other sounds on the Rytm using the BSP pads.

Any suggestions?

thanks

1 Like

Yes. Guessing at what you’re doing, your BSP is sending on channel 1;
The other channels are on 2-14.

To play all the voices on channel 1, set Rytm’s auto channel to 1, then turn the channels for the other voices to OFF, assuming you want to play them all from the BSP.
This is covered in the manual in more detail.

1 Like

Thanks,

i will try that

1 Like

Its not working.

I dont want to play all of the voices with 1 pad of the beatstep pro. I want to play each voice with each separate pad of the BSP. Like if I was playing the Rytm… just on the BST.

You will probably need to match the BSP Note# to the corresponding Rytm Voice Note#.

I did this with my OT, and made the settings on Rytm as I described; individual channels to OFF, AutoChannel to X ( for me, 14, but you will want to use the channel coming from the BSP that you choose )
Once I did this, I was able to play the Rytm voices ( chromatically ) from the OT Trig buttons.

Try the lowest possible notes eg. C-2, C#-2 etc. to trigger the the drumvoices. This should work on all MIDI channels.

2 Likes

I dont know why but I can only get BD1 to work… all pads from the beatstep will play only that sound no matter what I do…or maybe I’m doing it the wrong way

cause you don’t read @AriHaf comment. the lowest midi notes, 0-11, play the separate tracks. 0 being the bd, and 11 being the cb. you have probably selected the bd and are playing it chromaticly, the notes from 12-60 are for the chromatic playing of the selected track, which would explain your case. try it on the auto channel

3 Likes

…mentioning this ‘just in case’: there’s a software called MIDI Control Center that you can use to setup the controller. also, as mentioned already, worth checking AR’s MIDI channels

So basically, what I’m doing is set all the separate track channels to OFF and my auto channel set to 10. I’ve got my BSP sending midi over the drum channel (channel 10) and the Rytm receiving on that same channel through Ableton’s “midi to”. Whenever I do that, nothing comes out…

I’ve also tried channel 14 and nothing either

I mean, when I hit a pad on the BSP I can only trigger the track that’s been selected on the AR

Is your Rytm set to AUTO channel or TRK channel?

Ableton can only send MIDI to one channel per “MIDI Track”. If you want to control all tracks just using channel 10 you can, but the midi note outs have to be midi notes 0-11 I think.

You have two devices that can and possibly are affecting the MIDI date before it gets to Rytm.

I just tested this again with the Yamaha DTX12 and Roland SPDSX, so I know the settings on Rytm are correct.

If you’re only able to play the selected track, you need to do what @mekohler suggests;
Make sure that BSP pad is sending the correct midi note number for the Rytm voice you want to play.

If you’re getting response from Rytm when you tap a BSP pad, even though it’s only playing the selected track, you have the routing correct, you’re just sending a note# from BSP that’s higher than 11.
This is expected behavior.

Example, take the BSP pad that you want to assign to Rytm kick, ( lower left hand pad ) and make it send MIDI note 0

If the BSP pads aren’t assignable, then you’ll have to use a MIDI widget in Ableton to reassign ( transpose ) whatever note comes out of BSP to 0 for Rytm.

If the BSP has a chromatic mode for pianos and such, try shifting the keyboard all the way down to the bottom octave.

1 Like

Finally sorted it out! thanks to all for your answers and advices. There’s only one last thing I can’t figure out. Does the Rytm send velocity messages? I think that I’m not getting any sound differences when I hit the pads on my beatstep

1 Like

Ok, sorted. I just didnt get velocity when using Overbridge for some reason

1 Like

What could be the advantage of sequencing the RYTM from an inferior sequencer?

1 Like

I just needed the midi notes, I’m used to working with MIDI. Also, I dont know if there’s a way to record some of the “instruments” of the RYTM in separate tracks as there’s only 4 outputs. I want them all separated

There are 8 separate outs on the RYTM, plus the stereo out.

Sounds like you could benefit from a little dig through the manual, to get the most from this powerful machine.

5 Likes

Yeah you’re much better off in every way using the RYTM’s own sequencer and using the Arturia to send MIDI to any other gear that has no built-in sequencer. I’d use the RYTM as the master MIDI clock in such a setup as the BSP is not famous for timing accuracy :open_mouth:
You can automate pattern changes in the RYTM by sending it program changes from the BSP (if it can send those)

The RYTM’s individual outputs require a breakout cable (stereo jack to split mono jacks). They are dual outputs with two instruments each. The instruments that share a voice channel (Rimshot& clap, hihats and cymbal/crash) will come out of the same out.