Sending synth from UK to EU for Repair - Customs Question

Looks like I have to send a recently acquired synth to the EU (from the UK) for repair.

I’m a bit wary of customs and duty considerations here. Last thing I want is either

• it doesn’t get delivered to the repairer because it requires extra payment on entry to France
  • it gets sent back to me and I finish up paying VAT/Duty (again) on the full value of the instrument.

Can anyone offer any guidance ?

Has the person you’re sending it back to sent you any customs forms to fill out?

1 Like

No. Small (new, I think) company, no apparent process, no repair ticket number. Just the info "send it to address … "

This is the best I could find but it looks like its addressed at businesses using an out-of-country repairer.

Right, you’ll need to ship your stuff with a commercial invoice which states that it is going to be repaired.

Give me 5 minutes, I’ll find you the right template.

3 Likes

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/customs-forms/CN23-form-guide

This is a pretty helpful guide and has a blank cn23 form to download at the bottom.

You’ll need to attach 3 copies of the form to your parcel in a clear wallet.

8 Likes

That sounds spot-on … will take a look, thank you.

Don’t panic too much, I sent my Digitone back to Elektron for repairs with literally no documentation and it got there eventually (not that I’d recommend this).

In my experience of repairs and returns to the EU, it has been the person I’m shipping to that has prepared a lot of the information for the customs forms (tax/invoice codes and whatever), so it might be worth a chat with your guy in France.

1 Like

Thanks for your help so far. Yes, I think I will contact them by email (versus forum) before I start.

So CN23 doesn’t explicitly mention repair, but I guess ticking “category of item/other” and adding comment “Item for repair” should cover it.

Were you suggesting that in addition to the Customs form CN23 ?

Exactly

They’re basically one and the same thing, but it wouldn’t hurt to get your guy in France to send over some sort of invoice for repair. Better to have too much paperwork than not enough.

1 Like

Also, I’ve found the post office very helpful, as are UPS, once you get through to someone on the phone.

1 Like

Thanks again … I feel a whole lot happier about this after your advice.

No worries.

If you ship using Interparcel you can choose your preferred carrier and “repair” is on the dropdown list of export categories

1 Like

You can’t really stop customs.
I was sending a Strymon device to UK for repair under warranty a few weeks ago.
I had all the right papers, Strymon sent it back with the right papers and declaration.
DHL charged me 41 EUR custom fees when the package with the repaired unit was returned. A fantasy value. They just seem to make up an amount.
There is not much you can do when this happens.

Did DHL break down what the 41 EUR fees covered?

Yes but it’s made up. For example they assume random shipping costs and include that in the calculation. And it‘s always 15-18 EUR „processing fees“ from the courier included.

I have some experience with buying stuff from Japan (to EU).
With normal slow post, Japan Post, it arrives at normal Post in my country.
The import tax is about 30% for things like guitar pedals. Or at least it‘s supposed to be 30%.
Sometimes the package slips through and there are no taxes at all, sometimes they look up the worth from the declaration and calculate it quite accurately.

But DHL and FedEx, they just make up stuff.
For example, one time I purchased a 100 EUR guitar pedal with free shipping from Japan.
The worth was declared properly from the seller. But DHL just doubled the worth and added random shipping costs. I had to pay over 95 EUR additional fees on arrival.
Another time the eBay seller declared as „gift“, FedEx asked me for proof of value, eBay and PayPal screenshots. Which I delivered immediately. Then they kept the package for 4 months and finally charged again random customs by adding made up shipping costs and made up product value.

It’s all quite frustrating and I avoid importing stuff from outside the EU by now.

Sorry, I’m confused.

Did DHL charge you 41 EUR customs fees, or 41 EUR shipping fees?

Because it cost me £40 shipping and handling fees to ship my Digitone to Elektron for repair via UPS, but nothing in terms of taxes or customs fees.

I guess that’s mainly why paper hassle exists in the first place.

I‘m only talking about import taxes and processing fees for import taxes, collected on arrival.
Shipping costs are independent and usually payed before shipping, from the person who ships the item.