Sending program changes to the MD - any way for instant pattern changes?

I’m sending program changes from my Cirklon to the machinedrum to switch between multiple patterns of different lengths - some 1 bar, some 4 bars. I’m finding that when I send a program change in the middle of a 4-bar pattern, the MD waits until all four bars compete before switching to the pattern that I sent a program change for. Is there any way to get it to instantly leap from its current pattern to the one that I sent?

It won’t do that in response to Program Change messages.

But you can use the MD’s MAP EDITOR feature to get it to trigger patterns immediately in response to MIDI Note messages if you:

• set the GROUP parameter to “PAT x”, and
  • set the TRIG parameter to “GATE” or “START”.

Read the details on pages 59 to 60 of the MD’s manual.

1 Like

Thanks, Peter! Looks like using midi notes to trigger the patterns is what I need to match up to my off measured Cirklon patterns.

Hi people,

i have a question regarding triggering patterns of the MD via midinote.
I can get the MD to react, did all the mapping, and it works.

But the thing is, the MD seems to play the first step twice, like flams.
I figured that maybe the Ableton clock weren’t stable or smth but it’s the same with sending midinotes via my monomachine.
It feels like the BPM of the MD is a tiny bit faster than the BPM of Ableton/Monomachine (despite them being synced). I don’t know if that’s the case, just trying to describe it.

(Actually: i just set the MD’s tempo on “internal” and now it works. But i will post anyway, maybe someone knows if i could fix this without buying a clock - and if a clock would even fix this.)

Anyone knows what’s happening? Do i need a Midi Clock?

1 Like

I think what happens is that the first beat of the current pattern is triggered then the next pattern is triggered, and this causes a double trigger.
What I try to avoid this would be :

• create an empty pattern
  • when you want to switch to another pattern, trigger the empty pattern one step (or less) before the next pattern.

Thank you for answering!

The double trigger also happens when “looping” the same pattern…
In other words: when i put the corresponding note for triggering the MD’s pattern in the sequencer of the monomachine, hit play and let it loop it happens, too.

So with the method your suggesting i would have to switch between the pattern and an empty pattern back and forth, if i want to just loop the pattern for some time.

For performing live that would be difficult to handle…

So i’m hoping there is another way (even if the other way means i have to buy a clock).

Anyone? :smiley:

Hi,

i had the same issue. I resolved it using midi control on note on and note off ( not linked to a pattern). (user manual pag 59 / 60).
i use machinedrum slaved to mpc one . I use 2 midi track from MPC ( on 2 machinedrum different midi channel) . The first is only for " machinedrum control" ( i send from MPC note on at the start of the loop and note off at the end) .
the second track is for sending program change for the right pattern to play at the start of the loop.

For note on and off i mapped machinedrum on very low note i never use.
I hope you had understand … sorry but english is not my mother tongue :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you so much, i will try this!