Send transport while using Arp on tracks

Hey guys, so i just started messing around with using the Arp of the OT on the Tracks (not midi) using the OT>Midi out OT>Midi in method. My concern now is…is there a way i could chain my other elektrons to the OT for Tranport? so i could play for example OT and RYTM together.

OT should be master? Then you need a midi thru box.
From OT midi out into the thru box, then back into OT from one midi port and into AR from another.
You could also try to go from OT midi out -> AR midi in, AR midi thru -> OT midi in.
When you set OT to send clock and transport, but not receive, it should work.
Or is there anything I didn’t think of?

2 Likes

I think that once you start experimenting with this sort of midi routing, you’ll inevitably come across a situation where you would need to filter some stuff out (remember, for instance, that the OT uses midi note messages as commands, and has some special features like directconnect that you cannot entirely switch off).
Also my advice is to get an advanced midi interface that features routing, advanced filtering, and can function as a standalone unit. I use a iCM4+ from iConnectivity, like many other users here, I noticed. If you are to spend some money, consider that over a simple thru box.

2 Likes

When you loop OT midi out to midi in, the midi thru becomes your out…
OT out->OT in, OT thru->AR in, AR thru->next device…

5 Likes

Midi loopback is safe as long as you use the same midi channel for audio tracks and midi tracks, because in that case, midi tracks can’t receive midi data.

Transport only should not cause problems with Thru, if you don’t check send and receive, obviously.

In other cases, sequencing external midi gear with different midi channels, some midi filtering may be needed to avoid midi feedback freeze.

1 Like

this works flawlessly. thanks dude…and everyone else for your feedback

1 Like

here is another tricky part. I usually send transport through USB from Cubase to Rytm to live record Rytm, OT and A4 into cubase. The Rytm sends transport to OT and A4. How am i going to work around this since all my 3 midi ports of the OT are now taken? :thinking:

Now its really time for a MIDI merge box which combines multiple inputs into a single output.

1 Like

So what does that mean? That octa uses midi note messages… in order to play notes, or does it use those commands in its own language?

It uses notes to play samples in a defined range and the notes outside of that range are used to trigger commands. It’s all in the manual, look up the midi implementation. The Octatrack is one of those devices you absolutely need to read the manual for, and better twice than once.

Ive had a midi merge box. Plugged all and everything works fine now. thanks dude :+1: