Send MIDI Clock only when running, not when stopped

Is there a way to do this?
If I set SYNC OUT > TEMPO >ON, the mkII UW sends MIDI clock to my Intellijel uMIDI even when the Machinedrum sequencer is not running.
I can use the CTL OUT ON to reset the sequencers running off the clock of the uMIDI via the uMIDI’s run jack but they will keep running when Machinedrum is stopped because the uMIDI is still getting clock from the Machinedrum.
I would like the clock to be sent only when the Machinedrum’s sequencer is running.
I thought that would be the default and I can’t find anything in the manual about this.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

I think all of the Elektron boxes work this way - I see the channels on my Midi Express XT light up solid when I turn MIDI Clock on on any of the Elektron boxes, and only turns off when I uncheck the setting.

1 Like

At some times this could be useful but when syncing multiple sequencers with the Elektron as master, you want them all to start/stop when the master starts/stops.

I realize the Machinedrum can send start/stop via the sync CTRL global setting but not all MIDI devices will use this i.e. the Intellijel takes MIDI clock and spits out gate clock which you can send to eurorack sequencers. If the MIDI clock doesn’t stop incoming to the uMIDI, the sequencers don’t stop regardless of start/stop messages sent by the Machinedrum.

I’ve used many MIDI sequencers and have not before seen one that sends clock even when stopped.

Thanks for the reply.
Anyone else have some insight?

It’s pretty normal for a device to keep sending MIDI clock when stopped. It’s also valid behavior according to the MIDI specs.

It’s useful because it for dxample allows a tempo synced delay effect unit to stay in time after playback has stopped. It also allowes devices that maintain an inner clock even when slaved (like an Elektron) to derive the tempo from the clock signal before playback is started.

You can’t change this behavior on an Elektron box.

According to the MIDI specs, playback state should be controlled with Start and Stop messages, not with the presence or absense of a clock signal.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Just wondering if I was missing something.

I’m talking with Intellijel about whether it’s possible via firmware to have the uMIDI ignore incoming clock until it receives a MIDI start message, or rather than ignore, not send clock pulses translated from MIDI clock to it’s clock outs until it receives a start message and then stop sending clock pulses when it receives a stop message.
It does already recognize start/stop and translates them to a CV pulse out it’s RUN jack, so this may be something they can implement. He says it’s definitely possible, doesn’t want to make it default though which is understandable since some devices won’t send start/stop at all.

You could maybe also add a simple logic module to your modular and patch it up so that the clock pulses only go through when RUN is high.

3 Likes

Good call!
Always a way with modular, just depends how much hp and $ you got.
Thanks

Yeah, that pretty much is the reason I sold all my modules… :wink:

For anyone interested, Intellijel added a feature to the uMIDI to facilitate this, at the request of myself (and others).
Their online config utility for the uMIDI now includes an option to have the received clock translated/sent out the clock outs “only when running” i.e. when it receives a start command via MIDI.
So now it and anything connected to it’s clock outs will start and stop along with the Elektron transport control.

5 Likes

I had this exact issue with the umidi - nice work for getting it fixed! I was just using the run output to open a VCA and let the clock through when the MD started.

1 Like