Convince me on the Analog Heat

not to split hairs, but it is worth pointing out that AH is not $1000. it’s $800 for a new MKII and in the $500-600 range on reverb for mki’s.

4 Likes

They mean CAD.

2 Likes

that makes sense. I was thinking it could be that or AU dollareedoos after i posted.

1 Like

“Sell me the Analog Heat”,…

I’ll take 1k for mine right now. Indiana greenbacks

2 Likes

To the OP - for me, it’s the perfect end of chain device, as it can convert audio to digital format and record via its USB output to computer or iOS, and has everything you need to finalize your signal (EQ, a great filter, all the various drive settings, wet/dry control, and a master volume). Once I got my AH, it became much much easier to get my final signal to where I wanted it; it also gave me the control I needed, and the ability to record my live sets. For me, the combination of all those factors means it’s definitely worth the somewhat hefty price tag.

Hope that sells you on it!

6 Likes

Just to clarify again

Heat ~600USD/GBP = ~1000-1300 CAD/AUD.

Like all elektron boxes, it does alot. Learning how to use it = making the most of it = getting results you’ll struggle to find elsewhere, for the same price.

Its not for everyone, but then neither is any other instrument. The AH is utility tool, many uses. Totally worth it in my case. I was using plugins previously (some fab filter and ozone stuff) AH is vastly superior, for me and the music I make.

7 Likes

My bad for missing this earlier.

Hey all - I had a mk1 heat a few years ago which I used with DT to warm it up. I really liked it but my set up was much smaller then and I wasn’t that clued up on how to use it properly, so sold it to fund a DN as wanted that more.
I’ve got a bigger set up now and feel the urge to get my heat back on, but have a question for anyone that can provide some insight. All my hardware synths are running through a big analog Yamaha mixer, which has its own compressor on the master out. This connects straight into a UA interface and then out to the main monitors. Would the Heat be best placed in between the already compressed mixer main out signal path and into the UA Apollo or better as an effects send processor on one of the Yamaha’s fx loops, so that I can apply to individual instruments?

Many thanks

Individual or Master? Compressing before or after the Heat? The thing is you don’t want to always unplug/plug your setup. Both situations can bring interesting results. Have you thought about using the Heat as a plugin via Overbridge or are you strictly DAWless?

Does your mixer have master inserts? If so, that’s where I’d probably put it.

Or maybe on a pair of aux channels?

1 Like

Thanks @Tchu - I tend to keep away from the DAW, but I’m not allergic to it. I’m just jamming with the whole set up live and recording the stereo mix straight from the internal record to USB function which is another reason to possibly have it on an fx loop.

@lowph - thank you, good shout - the Yamaha mixer (it’s an MGP32X) does have a stereo master insert, so that could be an option. Not sure how it works or is applied but will RTFM and figure that out :slight_smile:

I guess it’s just a matter of experimentation and seeing what fits. I’d like to use it as a plugin in OB as it might encourage me to be a little more hybrid in my production approach, but I’ve never really been a fan of OB from the start and find DAW’s to be distracting.

I’m definitley against having to plug things in and out all the time, so would like it to just sit somewhere that it can be most useful.

Thanks for the responses!

2 Likes

Yeah, definitely RTFM a bit, but most likely you’ll need to use a pair of insert cables.

I don’t know your mixer, but it’s typically a cable with a TRS jack on one end, then split into 2 TS jacks. The TRS jack usually goes into the mixer and then each TS jacks go into the inputs and outputs of the sound processor (Heat). Usually the send is the tip and the return is the ring.

You’ll likely need two of these cables to do stereo:

download

1 Like

Thanks very much. I’ve no idea how to use the inserts but already have a cable like this somewhere from a previously canned set up, so will give my head a scratch and figure it out :+1:

1 Like

I have had both setups - on the master and as a send effect -, and I liked both… The AH played a very different role in each scenario, though: more clean boost up to enhancement on the master, and more extreme circuits and settings as a send effect. Ideally have both?

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll have an experimentation session when it arrives and see how best to implement the little hot box :relaxed:

1 Like

What’s a good way to do both master insert and aux sends? Would you need to use a couple regular mixer channels to make a submix, or perhaps a second little mixer that sums the aux sends and the master inserts?

I’m trying to think through how to accomplish this, and I’m thinking my mixer wouldn’t work (old Mackie CR1604). It would be super cool to have master or aux without recabling!

I would not buy 2 AH.
Instead get 1 AH and 1 Oto Boum

3 Likes

If you own an iPad or iPhone just get an audio interface and Saturn lol

1 Like

Who can afford a planet in this economy?

3 Likes

Fair point. And honestly a new iPad + Saturn is probably more than a used Heat. I’m just being an ass hat : )

2 Likes