Select track on Digitone in mute mode?

I normally stay in select track mode and press function for quick mute mode to mute a track…
When I do this I’m normally ok…
but not sure why elektron chose red for the global mute mode though?
It should be green like all the others!. when I see its red mode appear I still get confused even though I should know…

My request would be to have red when track is selected and green for global mute…
same as analog four mk2…
and have function as quick track select in mute mode…
Think this would probably make it much easier

7 Likes

Just got a DN last week and this track select in mute mode thing is so far pretty much my only gripe. Was going to post and did a quick search. Delighted to see a post from years ago asking the same question. Must be an answer all this time later? Nope. That’s just bonkers.

2 Likes

If you press pattern and then select a track it mutes the purple pattern mutes,
And function + track select does the global green mutes, so you don’t really need to go into the mute mode at all really…

1 Like

thank you. I’ll give that a try. Just a shame that something so simple doesn’t port over from the DT. It’s just a little difference to try and incorporate into how I use them.

The all of a sudden I get a blue light. Mind blown. WTF :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Holy moly, I thought you were joking about the blue light, and then I found it! These mute modes are super confusing when coming from Digitakt, why weren’t they just implemented the same??

And using using pattern mutes with PTN+TRK turns the track buttons purple when muted, and unlit when not muted, which is the opposite of how it’s explained in the manual, and how it works for global mutes. So that’s just extra confusion to add to the mix.

And yeah, not being able to change track when in mute mode is baffling…

3 Likes

Totally. The mute modes on the Digitakt are so straight forward and logical that it’s truly baffling what a complex mess the Digitone mute modes are. After using the DN for a year I still get confused most of the time, because they are an utter UI failure. Lord knows why Elektron was trying to reinvent wheel here; it’s like an elaborate random technicolour wind-up!

What Elektron should do is simple: entirely scrap the Digitone mute mode paradigm (if you could even call it that) and implement it exactly as the Digitakt. I’m not sure anyone would disagree with that move… ?

4 Likes

Pattern + track is pattern mutes
Func + track are global mutes.

It goes blue when both are on… not that difficult

7 Likes

Not that difficult? It’s a mess and what you’re suggesting isn’t even an “official” method AFAIK. Everyone else in this thread agrees it’s a cluster****.

SCENE - Elektron HQ, Digitone UI meeting #1568156. 4.30 AM.

Elektron employee #1: “You know it’s great that we’ve got separate, dedicated track buttons on the Digitone, unlike on the Digitakt. That should make it so much easier and clearer for everyone.”

Elektron employee #2: “Definitely. But that doesn’t seem right at all. That’s just not who we are. Let’s confuse the hell out of of them by instead creating a mute mode paradigm that rivals quantum physics in its complexity”.

Elektron employee #1: “Excellent idea. I mean, easier?! What was I thinking? Just duplicating the really clear Digitakt method that works perfectly would be boring. Exactly how many different colours should we use? What about if some of these colours also overlap with track selection colours?”

Elektron employee #2: “Genius. Do it.”

6 Likes

Trust me it’s official :joy:

You’re right. But it’s also officially a hot mess.

1 Like

Elektron employee #3: “While we’re at it, can we make the markings paint blue? Yellow is too easy to read in the dark.”

Elektron employee #2: “Perfect, you guys are on a roll today.”

Elektron employee #1: “Can we make most buttons light up in bright white to make sure?”

Elektron employee #2: “I like that idea. Who’s got some more?”

Elektron employee #4: “We could make tracks selectable when in mute mode to streamline the workflow.”

Elektron employee #3: “Have you not been paying attention this whole meeting?”

Elektron employee #2: “Yeah, not cool #4, not cool…”

4 Likes

Maybe for next OS update? I still have hope…

3 Likes

Still waiting for this! Plz make this select track in mute mode work Elektron! Would make a huge difference when performing!

Thanks

3 Likes

Wow how much nicer this would be…

2 Likes

So is there a way to select track while in pattern mute mode?

What if I told you …

No :frowning:

1 Like

Well I’ve arrived at the point I wanted to use the mute modes on my Digitone but boy have Elektron got it wrong here.

By the way, muting the DN from the DT on a pattern level doesn’t work either.

This is the first time the Digi twins have disappointed me.

7 Likes

Rant incoming.

To compound things even further, I found out that the Digitakt sends out MIDI CC 110 for pattern mute, while the Digitone listens to MIDI CC 110 for the destination of LFO 1.

So if you have a Digitone track sound set up with LFO1, and the Digitone is set up to receive CC, you will f*çk up that track without knowing it if you try to pattern mute that track from the Digitakt.

I’ll spare you my opinion on these design choices.

End of rant.

4 Likes

Still waiting on this, and @1zerozerozero1 's recommendation of using the [when in MUTE mode redundant] FUNC+TRK combo to select track must surely be easy to do.

Oh to be able to adjust another tracks level/filter freq while in mute mode. Oh well :frowning: I live in hope.

On the plus side, OB 2.11.2 on MacOS 10.14.6 in Logic 10.5.1 is rock solid! Much joy.

4 Likes