Second hand octatrack freeze on startup?

Just got the unit powered it up and it presents flash screen and then main page but it does not respond can’t change anything. LEDs stay lit no response on screen to knob movement etc.
On power up tempo LED flashes twice then remains off all track LEDs remain on, track one is red.

I run diagnostic hold [function] on powerup and it all reads okay. except sram Have tried erasing the compact flash but it is not readable on either mac or pc with my belkin card reader. Could it be the compact flash or is there something wrong with the unit, should I be thinking of returning?

Do you have the USB connected? I had multiple freeze issues when this was the case. Not had any issues in a year without it.

No usb connected. Can it run without the compact flash normally? I can’t format the compact on any computer I have tried it is not recognised. Haven’t used this card reader for compact flash but its okay with SD cards.

Missed your “except SRAM” comment on the startup test - that doesn’t sound good. Is it still under the 3 year Elektron warranty ?

I meant it looks like this:

DRAM[] SRAM[]
everything else is [OK]

according to this thread this is okay I think?

Should look like this :

2 Likes

Can you perform the Empty Reset to clear the memory ? See if that helps.

You should be able to use the Card Tools menu to format the card, and create and mount a new set. If that doesn’t work, then there may well be something wrong with the unit.

2 Likes

Yep thats how it looks.

Can perform the empty reset but unit is still unresponve afterwardsand so can’t navigate to any menus.

Just purchased a new compact flash to see if that makes any difference. Just returned an mpc live because it was bugging out on me thought I could save a few coin on a second hand mkI purchase now thinking I should have looked harder for a new mkI :frowning:

The main problem is that you didn’t try the product before buying. Can’t stand that kind of situations. I feel sorry for you.
With Paypal or other ways of 2nd hand purchase you have a kind of warranty of refund if it doesn’t work.

You can try a firmware update.

It’s eBay so no worries and the seller is genuine and has been very helpful. Have found the unit powers up and works in demo mode makes sounds and responds to buttons etc so hopefully a new CF card will bring it back to life.

4 Likes

Yes a new CF card got things working. Thanks all :sunglasses::+1:

5 Likes

Hi, I have the same problem with my OT mk1. The logo is frozen at startup. I’m thinking of sending the machine to Elektron.
Do you know I had your machine at the end? Is it some software or hardware?
Thanks

Try this. I had the same problem a few years back on my MK1 and fixed it so I made this video.

Just for a quick test: remove the CF card, press and hold [YES] and power the OT up. This will put the unit in demo mode (uses a fixed internal project you can play around with). Is it still freezing?

2 Likes

Elektron has answered me, “It is most likely the internal power supply that is not working correctly and fixing” … do you know how to check it?
Thanks!

My Octatrack MKI just freezed on startup too. holding [YES] while powerup does not do anything. Also tried doing the removal of cables from frontpanel like in the video above. Does not help either. Does anyone have any suggestions?