Searching for good FX pedals (not the usual known ones)

Afterneath is one of my absolute favorites! Always bring it for live shows.
It’s not too much of a hidden gem, but can’t say enough good things about the Zoia. Can get really creative with that

Yeah it is crazy how good the afterneath is.
I know the zoia only from YT videos. Didn`t try it yet. It looks quite nice but i think it is more useful as an “instrument” than as a guitar pedal. right?

Hi there. Why pedal only?

About pedals, zoom ms70 or ms100bt are interesting: cheap on second hand and huge possibilities. But a bit weak on sound quality, and … a bit “usual pedal”.

I’ve seen also the drolo molecular disruptor (someone has talked about it already) which is on my wishlist. It’s very impressive.

Also on my wishlist: the boss tera echo.

About rack, you should consider the boss se70 (1/2 rack) which is a great tool that makes everything, with a good sound. I bought it at 80€. Nice price for this!

Seconded - stick anything into the Montoron Delay and it’s easy to get lost in the repeats and filter sweeps for hours

I always wanted one of these modded versions, which came in a rack or Commodore 64 floppy drive case:

https://jahtari.org/monotron-delay/

5 Likes

Glou Glou is the brand. They’re a French company.

They were about £400-500. Not sure about used prices, as you can’t buy them new now. They’re also much bigger than a Strymon Timeline/Big Sky/Mobius.

1 Like

Looking to get Pisound+Raspberry with MODEP installed on it, as my first FX pedal.
Can say about it much now, but it was mentioned on the forum by @mzero
Live w/Digitakt & Pisound, w/Video Visuals
case-540x303

Thanks for bringing this one to my attention - just watched some demos on the ol’ youtube. I really like that feature in the Modley delay plugin by Klevgrand but didn’t even think to see if it existed in the physical world. I’m sure a wise man once said “you can’t have too many delay pedals”…

Made the mistake of listening to the strymon demos of the 12-bit mode on the DIG again. Thing sounds so good. Really don’t need a fourth (fifth?) delay unit though. Do I?

1 Like

The se70 is awesome. I used to have one. Got it as payment for rewiring someone’s bass. I foolishly sold it though. Recently scored a pair of se50s. For the most part they seem as good as the 70. Obviously there are some things missing but still usable on pretty much anything and they sound great. Especially surprised by the vocoder. And they’re stereo!

1 Like

DUDE always wanted one of those. Couldn’t justify the price then but maybe could now :thinking:

1 Like

Empress Zoia.

/thread.

:rofl:

3 Likes

It can do synthesis and take midi in or self sequence, but IMO the fx processing is where it’s at with the Zoia. Setting up multiple fx in series and in parallel and using envelope followers and lfos to morph things is where that little box shines the brightest

There even is a eurorack version! Yummy^^

Btw guys, we’re pretty much way off from OP :wink:

I received the OTO Bim and Bam, they are amazing, pricey but highly recommended

1 Like

Most interesting pedal I own

Choose either
Comb filter
Decimator
Bit reduction
Frequency modulation
Frequency shift

And then add some
Compression
Distortion
Stereo phase

MONSTER of a pedal and it was cheap 2nd hand…

6 Likes

A lot of the suggestions on here have been for cheap digital pedals. If that’s the route you’re going down, the Zoom MS-70CDR is hard to beat. Best bang for buck you’re going to find for cheap digital multi effects.

If you’re after interesting analog multi effects the sky’s the limit. But other than the usual suspects they can get very expensive.

Like Vegemite. It’s a mystery to me why people come into a studio and want to engage every reverb pedal they have. To the point where you can’t hear the notes anymore.

A/B’ing the Bigsky and Ventris, I noticed how much I dislike shimmer. It’s the only algorithm I didn’t bother comparing. Got sick of Shimmer the first time I heard it. There. Outed myself.

3 Likes

They are so expensive! And shimmer… yeah no thanks!

Selling the BS paid for most of the Ventris, and to be fair the Ventris is 2 Reverbs, both in stereo (dual DSP). If I could do it again, I’d sell my Timeline too, and go for the Collider.

1 Like

Empress Zoia is not cheap… but since the OP says he’d rather spend the money on synths, guess what the Zoia can also be used as a synth. If he has a Eurorack setup, then maybe the Empress Ouroboros might be waiting for, because it’s Zoia in a module w/ CV.

Every time somebody uploads an awesome new patch for the Zoia, it’s like getting a new $300 pedal for free.

For overdrive, I like the MXR Il Diavolo and Boss SD-1. SD-1’s regular price isn’t as low as Behringer but still pretty darn cheap and sounds great. Il Diavolo seems to go on sale a lot.

1 Like