SE-02 v AS-1

I think we will. DJing and live PA paradigms are starting to mix into each other more and more in the future. No doubt Pio will try entering into the synth market every now and then, it is inevitable.

1 Like

I don’t plan on doing any live sampling/looping. I’ll basically have sample beds on the OT audio tracks and use a midi track to sequence the AS-1. If I do want to layer things that resampling would be something I would do prior to a live scenario.

I’m going to map a bunch of CC controls to the OT encoders so hopefully that will suffice for parameter performance.

I just pulled the trigger and ordered one. We’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

Thanks for the input from everyone. It’s much appreciated.

1 Like

Pioneer does make a lot of stuff. I have a pioneer system in my car, it actually has some built in DJ fx and things, I’ve never turned them on… :joy:
I should see what they do… :rofl:

As long as you sample it…

1 Like

That’s definitely true. But I can’t help but get the feeling that the AS-1 has not really worked out for them (hence the lack of updates since March last year, while the SP-16’s last update was in November). It’s a shame because it’s such a great sounding little synth. Maybe it’s not knobby enough for the producer crowd, and not easy enough to integrate into a live DJ setup, so doesn’t work that well for either camp. Maybe integrating synth engines into something like the SP-16 or a mixer would work better for them?

That could indeed be cool but dont really know if that is possible.

From what I’ve heard, both of the Pio instruments where Dave Smith has been involved in sound excellent. But as the prices are not super aggressive and Pio is not really known as a musical instrument maker (yet), they are maybe a bit of a hard sell right now.

2 Likes

Mine had tuning issues across the octaves, it no longer does.

Extra lfo i think for pwm in the settings, plus a few more nifty bits!

Sooooooo - I was close to selling the Toraiz AS-1 but decided I better try and learn it. It’s a really cool synth.

The work around for triggering sequences is the Trigger In.

Here’s a short demo of the TR-8S trigger out to the AS-1 Trigger In.

1 Like

Mine should arrive any minute now. Gonna be a fun weekend.

1 Like

Trying to add some more form to the whole thing. The AS-1 is very modern sounding. At least to my ears. AS-1 trigger in from 8S

Used the AS-1 in a jam session with a friend until 5am tonight. I really like the sound of this synth. It’s got a really musical character that feels both classic and modern. I was able to get a huge variety of sounds and actually didn’t find the menus to be all that frustrating to use. I think the two Knob, cycle and adjust parameters method of menu diving actually works pretty well. I’m going to dive deeper into sound design with the editor tomorrow, My first impression is very positive,

2 Likes

yo @Kingtiers glad to hear you got the AS-1 after all. Also great to hear that you’re enjoying the sound as well.

I am still also really bonding with mine. I played a live show on it Friday night and it really went off well. The AS-1 was seriously shredded on the PA. I played mostly techno, tech house, and electro-funk style techno. The basslines fit the style so perfectly. AS-1 and it’s simple interface also really lends well to the stage.

Also - if you need any info how I implement it into the setup, please feel free ! I’m always happy to share with fellow 'nauts.

This was a great contrary perspective…

Where are people at now?

There’s an AS-1 starting at the same price as the many SE-02s on the local auction site (350 CHF).

One thing to take into consideration: MIDI (CC & NRPN) is not following the best implementation.
Took me a while to remote the AS-1 from DT.
Great mono synth with warm analog tones though.

The AS has a “sweeter” tone. SE-02 is like a Model D with a bit of extra aggro and a few other tricks (presets etc). Which means it’s pretty aggro. You can make it sound sweet too by backing the osc mixer levels off but it will always have that filter.

Both are very good synths, it really comes down to taste and whether you are ok with the SE-02’s small but near-knob-per-function interface (I am, though I did add the ext-box expander) or the AS-1’s more menu-y solution.

Yeah, I’m looking for a sort of rubbery bass and soaring leads…

I like the point made above of a knob-per-function being a welcome addition to the knob-reuse and menus of Elektron (Digitone, in my case).

I’m a past SE-02 owner and a current AS-1 owner. I thought the SE-02 sounded pretty muddy, both the filters and the raw OSCs. Maybe I just never got a feel for the gainstaging but I ended up selling it fairly quickly. That being said, what also caused me to sell it at the time was the lack of keyboard use for note entry, which was fixed in 1.1.

AS-1 is the best sounding mono-synth in its class but you gotta edit it with something else to get the most out of it.

1 Like

The SE-02 is greatly improved by the HPF in the ext-box. I’m sure they would have wanted it in the synth itself but I’m not surprised if they simply couldn’t fit it in.