Scratched Machinedrum Refund Advice

I recently bought a mk2 sps-UW+ machine drum. It’s in fantastic condition, the sticker is still on the screen.

It came today with significant scratches on the side. When the seller packed it, a metal bracket got loose and caused the damage. The machine works perfectly, but the seller said it must’ve happened during shipping.

They’ve been super nice about everything and offered to give a partial refund or let me return it. I think I’d like to keep it but I’m wondering what’s a fair amount to hope for. Any input or advice?

Is this eBay? Try to think of how it would affect your resale price, and aim high. I’d personally ask for about 200 USD off and settle for 100-150.

Can you post an image of the scratches?

How much did you pay for the machine?

I don’t think I would demand that much for some scratches, that could probably be repaired easily, or covered with a sticker.

How about asking to just get the shipping refunded?

Cheers

Thomas

It didn’t have those scratches on the side when it was sent. It was through reverb.com

Thanks for the responses. It’s definitely helpful.

If that panel can be removed it’s a five minute job with some very fine sand paper and $5 can of automotive paint, maybe some clear laquer to finish it off

I would ask for a small fee (< 10%) and put some sticker on top.

4 Likes

This is just what I’d do since you’re asking, but you can obviously do whatever you want since you paid for a unit different from what you got. That is such a minor abrasion to a part of the unit you’re almoat never going to look at that if it was me I’d let it go and honestly wouldn’t feel comfortable asking for even a partial refund. I have had every Elektron box and the amount of time I’ve spent looking at the sides of any of them is basically zero. I mean the display (the part you’re going to be looking at more than anything) still has the protective display on, that alone is rare and buying used elektron gear you basically assume the display will have scratches. Mistakes happen and I’d cut the guy some slack. I mean for something to come lose and scratch the machine it happened on one of the best places it could happen. Just my opinion.

7 Likes

I would ask the seller what they suggest and take it. If it had happened to me as a seller, I’d offer something in the ballpark of €50,- or a full refund and cover the buyer’s shipping expenses. In the meantime I probably would have realized that selling the MD was a shitty idea to begin with.

5 Likes

That’s not a big deal. Maybe ask for the cost of shipping.

Personally. The effort to go through all that wouldn’t be worth it to me. Just turn it on and play with it. Super fun box

2 Likes

You can nickel and dime the guy or you can just accept the inherent dangers of buying and shipping used gear, and just be cool and accept it. That is really nothing to worry about - you are fortunate to have such an excellent machine now, just enjoy it.

If I were the seller and you came back to me asking for a ‘refund’ for shipping damage like this, I’d begrudgingly do it just to keep the internet wolves at bay, but I wouldn’t sell to you again.

6 Likes

if you grab a set of these the scratch is covered and the machine is in an ergonomic position.

7 Likes

^ Maybe ask the seller to send you a set of those, seems reasonable for both parties?

3 Likes

That machine is hard to come by these days. The scratches aren’t a big deal as long as the machine plays well.

Not only that, it’s not even a cosmetic issue where the cosmetics count.

What I’d do is ask for a partial refund enough to bring the price down to where you’d pay for it had the scratches been there in the first place.

As far as resale value, the rarity of the machine should trump any qualms of potential buyers

Lmao!

Just sold my MD Mk1 non UW… Still haven’t had that realization :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe soon

that’s really bad man … I’ll get it off your hands :smile:

I don’t know why you were flagged but I may disagree. Bad packing, not enough protection = seller’s fault.

I was faulty once, bad packing, did a refund. I was also pissed off because I sent 2 different products to different people, both not working at reception. I think post men played basket ball with them. One post man friend told me it is usual!

You can’t 100% rely on post companies anyway.

1 Like

That´s just minor scratches, be glad you got a nice drum machine and stop bugging the seller.

I’ve had doods scratch my stuff for a refund.
That’s why I always film or take pictures of the packing process but you have to admit the post man or UPS can be pretty brutal on a package.
It’s just a side scratch was all I’m saying.
Flagged for my opinion.

Freedom of speech not allowed on here I guess.

3 Likes

Yep 100% sellers responsibility to package it well. But the scratches equally are not a huge deal. If the packaging was fine and it’s just a random thing I’d let it slide, if the packaging was a bit poor I would ask for a small token.

I do know the feeling… I sent my A4 off for repair and when it came back it has a bit of a dent on the front… unfortunately didn’t unpack it for about a month after receiving it as I was busy so too late to do anything about it now. Was probably my packing anyway as Elektron shipped it back in a proper box and it’s my own fault for not checking it on receipt… I’m chalking it up to adding character to it :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, and who are flagging people?
Can’t we flag them? :smile:

1 Like