Scott Walker has left us

Sad news - his recent work has been utterly breathtaking, but i also love his early solo work, a lot … I kid you not i was really enjoying singing my way through most of Scott 3 and Scott 4 yesterday, his influence is clear to see from back then (50 years ago !!)

Let’s celebrate our favourite moments from an incredible artist and fascinating individual

I really recommend watching 30th Century Man if you get a chance

This

to this

all good … and another artist with a career in reverse, early stardom to artistic obscurity but hugely respected for this integrity

8 Likes

His later work is so intense … here’s a little piece on him following his emergence from wherever he went for a while

and another interview

2 Likes

RIP

1 Like

I love that he invited Bill Callahan (smog)(one of my heroes) to his Meltdown festival and had him on the soundtrack to Pola X Bill also had a cameo as seen from this dream sequence …

The whole film is available on YouTube sans subtitles for the French speakers

1 Like

Clara is a masterpiece imho …

the sound ‘design’ is quite a story here, it’s hunks of real dead pig being punched to represent the blows to Mussolini and his mistress, Clara, strung up alongside him …

it really hits home (no pun intended) how much of a loss this is, he was getting better with age, what a true artist, “peerless” according to Eno … this is not everyday music of course

I’m deeply indebted to Scott. Probably my favourite artist, and a fine example to us all. My now-wife thought I was a cocky ne’er-do-well til I ran into her on the street one day and asked her what she was listening to. “Scott Walker” - and the wild enthusiasm of my response was the first time she took a shine to me.

I think this is one of the most beautiful sings of the 20th century. Dark foley, clangourous guitar and Disney strings… And beauty and torture in those vocals… https://youtu.be/mhQbT65qIJY

4 Likes

Outstanding, not sure why I hadn’t mined the brothers’ work more

Always liked the Eno quote in the Walker doc on “Nite Flights”. I couldn’t find a clip, but this is from a site that appears to be quoting it:

“I have to say, it’s humiliating to hear this,” he says. “It is! Christ. We haven’t got any further. You just keep hearing all these bands that sound like bloody Roxy Music and Talking Heads.” (Mind you, Eno was a pivotal figure in both bands.) “We haven’t gotten any further than this,” he continues. “It’s a disgrace, really.”

2 Likes

Wow that’s crazy I just discovered him this past Friday, I am loving his music

1 Like

Didn’t know about him until the documentary. Been a fan ever since…RIP

2 Likes

Regrettably I have never taken the opportunity to get into him but some of my favorite artists respect him immsensly so will take this opportunity to dive in.

RIP

2 Likes

Scott 3 and Scott 4 are masterpieces, though the first four tracks of Nite Flights are just next level. The albums he did in the 90s and onward are beyond my comprehension, but maybe I’ll get there one day. Goodbye, Mr. Walker.

2 Likes

The Drift is incredible. I got into that first… wasn’t til I loved the ‘difficult’ 90s ones that I could appreciate what was going on in the 60s stuff, for some reason.

1 Like

A little footnote for the thread; two of the greats who are an inspiration for creatives who’ve seen the Autumn of their years, the good stuff is still within you - this moment below popped up after listening through the Jarvis’ interview about the recent Scott walker night at the Proms - that’s an engaging listen too … hearing him speak really consolidates why i’d be instinctively drawn to him and his music, the interview mentions this touching radio moment from two decades earlier; praise indeed …

2 Likes