Sonic Sound Synthesis at the Neon Hospice (5 June 2021: end of series special with Walker Farrell of Make Noise)

SsS is a new weekly show at The Neon Hospice online radio station.

Sonic Sound Synthesis is an outlet for the amazing sounds made by modular synthesisers.
Once a week we will present a set of audio recordings made by people around the world using these fascinating machines.

This week’s show comes from none other than Elektronauts luminary @Scot_Solida with an hour-long session entitled Cryogenic Fever Dreams (parts 1 through 5, with interludes), featuring as many wonderful synths as you can imagine (including some Elektron devices, of course), and a few you maybe can’t.

Hope to see you there at 21:00 GMT on 23 January and feel free to drop by to hang out in the lounge ; future sessions will feature further renowned guests over the next few months.

27 Likes

After hearing about all the work that went into this behind the scenes I CAN’T WAIT to finally hear it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m relieved, I saw hospice and thought the worst. Looking forward to the show.

4 Likes

I am so grateful to @DoS for the opportunity to do this. I hope those of you who might give it a listen can take some enjoyment from it. At the very least, I hope you’ll be surprised by what you hear. :blush:

8 Likes

Will it be recorded for later listening?

1 Like

There will be a Mixcloud archive here, which usually gets uploaded the same day.

I’m so glad that you’re able to bring the sounds of these marvellous machines to an attentive audience.

7 Likes

Bumping for the day of the broadcast.

1 Like

Cryogenic Fever Dreams (parts 1 through 5, with interludes)

1: Count Backwards from 11
Instrument: Moog Model 10
Effects: Dreadbox Hypnosis, Tascam Model 16 delay, Cubase delay plugin
Recorded and mixed with: Cubase 11

2: Slingshot Effect
Instruments: 110U Synthesizers.com system, Haken Continuum Fingerboard
Sequencers: Synthesizers.com Q960 suite, Q119, DIY sequencer module
Effects: Multivox tape echo, Elektron Analog Heat, Eventide GTR 4000
Recorded and mixed with: Tascam 424 MkIII 4-track cassette Portastudio, Cubase 11

Interlude: Distressed Signal
Instrument: Voice, tape loop
Effects: Brenell tape echo, Eventide H9
Recorded in: Bitwig Studio

3: Untethered, Adrift
Instruments: 110U Synthesizers.com system, Moog Model 10, EMS VCS3, Azzam Bells MPA 019
Effects: Eventide H9, Tascam Model 16 delay
Recorded and mixed with: Bitwig Studio

4: Into the Gravity Well
Instruments: Moog Model 10, Synthesizers.com 110U system, Haken Continuum Fingerboard, 12-string electric guitar, acoustic drums, congas
Sequencers: Synthesizers.com Q960 Suite, Q119. drums sequenced with Synthesizers.com system, played with Polyend Percs (x4)
Effects: Fulltone Tube Tape Echo, Tascam Model 16 delays, Soundtoys Echoboy, Eventide H9
Recorded and mixed with Bitwig Studio

Interlude: Subspace Interference
Instruments: Moog Model 10, ARP 2600 (MkIII), Korg MS-20 (MkI)
Effects: Eventide H9, TC Electronic Flashback x 4, Tascam Model 16 delay
Recorded in: Cubase

5. The 11th Hour
Instruments: 110U Synthesizers.com system, Moog Model 10, Elektron Analog Keys
Sequencers: Synthesizers.com Q960 Suite, Q119, Elektron Analog Keys
Effects: Dreadbox Hypnosis, Tascam Model 16 Delay, Elektron Analog Keys reverb and delay
Recorded and mixed with: Cubase 11
Guest performance: Har, ambient guitar

7 Likes

Very much looking forward to this, having not listened to the file in advance (other than a skim through to check there was sound!) so as to enjoy it in the moment. See y’all there!!

1 Like

live now! :smiley:

3 Likes

Feel free to stop by the lounge and say hi. This is sounding great.

Update: Not even half way through and we’re already cruising beyond the Milky Way …

3 Likes

Mate, this is excellent.

I wish I had some drugs.

3 Likes

Who needs them when @Scot_Solida has all the synths?

2 Likes

Me.

I need them

4 Likes

Fair point.

I hear nutmeg’s good…

I am so glad you are enjoying it. :blush:

5 Likes

I really fucking dig how it’s just burst out into the best bit of Krautrock I’ve heard in forever.
Honestly, that could have gone on for about a day and I wouldn’t have complained.

3 Likes

Me neither. Until it finished.

1 Like

I keep half-expecting to hear Ralf Hütter chime in. Not to describe it as derivative, but this really wouldn’t feel out of place on a Kraftwerk record. What I really like though, is what sounds like a guitar providing the pad underneath, really adds depth and emotion to it.

The stereo placement of sounds is excellent.

2 Likes

I’ll take that comparison! It wasn’t intended (this bit is in 11/8 meter, after all), but I am happy to hear the comparison. The guitar sound under this section is indeed a guitar, provided by my Christus and the Cosmonaughts band mate, Har.

4 Likes