Science Lab Challenge, September 2015 [Main Thread]

Damn, I wrote this all over the Ableton tracks, haven’t you seen already ??!?
[/quote]
Hehe yeah, we saw that! Cute :slight_smile:

Hehe no arse-licking meant…

But I felt like so much care had been brought both technically and visually (a little thought for C6 here :wink: )… One can easily see this.
So I don’t know, with all the spoiled-child rantings I felt the need to stress out that after all this Overbridge thing is such an amazing gift.

The wealthiest person is a pauper at times

Compared to the man with a satisfied mind…

I just don’t know how you guys manage to keep it intact, sometimes ^^

• this little challenge of yours was a very clever way to put our nose into it for real. Hats off !

If you make a separate MIDI track that outputs to the machine (the MIDI input, separate from Overbridge), you can send MIDI CC info to change the pitch ( CC#17 for oscillator 2 coarse tune).
This way you will get 127 values, so that each step correspons to a semi-note.
Since it appears to send MIDI to the machine separate from the Overbridge business, timing can be a bit off (maybe you can improve this by changing bufer settings etc).
I’m working on my entry now, and ended up doing everything through Overbridge just to keep it tight. And as noted earlier, the detuning isn’t necessarily a bad thing. :slight_smile:

Edit: MIDI input port that you choose in the channel settings, still over USB.

JFC, trying to find a screen recorder for Windows led me to install the shadiest software I’ve come across in a while.

Now that I’ve uninstalled the program plus the extra “bonuses” that came with it, I wonder if anyone know of any good freeware recorders for Windows.

Or is handheld iPhone video good enough? At leasts it would fit the music I’m making, but is the point here to have the video as clean as possible?

So the winner is gonna be somebody who Rytm’s w/ Ableton

1.00 PM : at last, I’m allowed to use the 4 tracks of my analog 4 again !

This Challenge was a great way to improve my knowledge of the machine and Overbridge.

Thanks for this great idea !

That was fun and I learned loads, cheers guys.

Completely blown away by what can be squeezed out of a single track of an Elektron Analog.
So many great entries and different takes on the challenge. Sneaky of those Elektron guys to get us all to learn more about our machines by dangling the possibility of a prize in front of us :wink:
Certainly worked on me!

Here’s how my project ended up looking, it’s the first track I’ve ever made in Ableton (usually just use it to launch clips) and I feel like I’ve definitely got my head round drawing automation envelopes at least!

1 Like

@toot What was great, I found, is that you can use AR knobs to draw these automations, so you can keep the feeling of playing on an Elektron machine. Then you always can edit the automations in details…
Very cool feature I discovered with this Challenge.

Now here’s the https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1QjvyQuLj5_V_QSwAla4CDHR2Y0CgQXr with all the (YT) entries.

For the Vimeomen : drop me a YT link for your contribution to be added within.

I knew about the knobs sending midi cc but for this challenge it made sense to draw it all by hand because I was trying to squeeze as much in as possible.

Nice one for making the playlist, I’m listening all the way through right now :slight_smile:

Quite some automation going on there toot! :slight_smile:

I tried to show all automation in my project like that (“Add lane for each automated envelope”), but only four of the automation lanes appear. I need to open the clip to see the rest, manually, one by one.

First time Live user here as well, and although it was nice to try it (I can see why it’s a popular one) I’ll be going back to the linear world of Sonar now.

I only own the OT but just popped in to watch the submissions.

Gotta say

GREAT WORK EVERYBODY !

Some really cool things happening and a fun way to spend a half hour :slight_smile:

Elektron gear is wicked

When you see it like that, it brings home just how much automation these things can manage on one track, astonishing.
Great work

Congrats winners!! :slight_smile:

Yeah, definitely a worthy winner!

Nice work Toot and congrats to all the winners :slight_smile:

Congratulations to all the winners and thanks for the contest! :slight_smile:

Congratulations Dom, and all the participants.

I would have had hard time to qualify 3 among the https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1QjvyQuLj5_V_QSwAla4CDHR2Y0CgQXr : there were some real good tracks !!

Thx Simon & Elektron staff for this clever contest :slight_smile:

Thanks guys and thanks Elektron for the fun and interesting challenge.

Well done to the other winners and special mention for Raemón’s great polyphonic entry which I loved.

Really happy to’ve won amongst such strong and varied competition.
Can’t wait to see/hear what can be done with a combo of Four + Rytm + Overbridge! :slight_smile:

I think the chaps at Elektron will be posting my project file at some point but if anyone has any questions about what I did please fire away and I’ll try my best to answer.

Hello Toot

I’m very impressed by your work

(the others were, for some of them, very impressive too. Nice work for all of you)

I’ve not computer, so i dont know overbridge. I didn’t take time to read the exact state of that new feature.

So please, forgive me if I have a very stupid question.

I saw your pictures about the automations, and I wonder if all your work could have been done with only use of a sequencer and proper cc ?

Thx for taking time to answer, and I wish you a lot of fun with your new drum machine.

HavFun :+1:

Regards

Hi Elena,

Thanks for your nice words.

I’m not sure of the answer to your question. I know that the Analog Four can receive CC and NRPN messages but I’ve never looked into that side of things much (before this challenge came along I spent most of my A4 time playing with p-locks or ‘playing’ the automation live while recording the audio).

I doubt you’d have the same amount of control though, there are literally hundreds of parameters that can be automated via Overbridge (and it helps a lot that they’re labeled).

Hopefully someone can jump in and answer you more fully.

:+1: