Science Lab Challenge, September 2015 [Main Thread]

Dont record enable the track, only enable automation recording.

Im about to sit down today and have a go at this with the RYTM. Just to clarify can we use multiple samples on one track in the RYTM? [/quote]
Sure you can

made me think of this challenge :slight_smile:

Can we automate performance macros? As long as they only affect one trackā€¦

Also: are pattern/kit changes allowed? Iā€™d keep FX settings identical.

How about same-track audio feedback loops? (hah!)

(Not to give too many ideas!)

i dont think ive seen this mentioned, (sorry if it was!)

so i am fine to create any sort of midi note pattern?
i understand its monophonic and one track.
(im using the AK here)

for example, i am allowed to input several midi notes
into my midi clipā€¦ ( C, E, A, B)
then go wild with the automationā€¦

or can i only use one midi note over the course of the 15-30 seconds?

Would be nice if elektron would chime in and answer a few of the questions here. The guidelines are pretty vague, especially regarding the RYTM and sample playback

(Just to remind) bellow is all that has been said already :

The challenge is to create a 15-30 second video, depicting how DAW automation and clever programming of one (1) track on your Overbridge enabled machine can be used to create a visual and musical whole. The video will be judged on its music as well as on the visual impression of the Overbridge plugin, as the automation makes the graphical elements move in time with the music. In other words: this competition is about both sight and sound. Think of the graphical action of the Overbridge plugin as the music video for your composition.

Watch examples and be inspired!

Rules
The competition is open to anyone with an Overbridge enabled Elektron machine and a DAW running any current release-version or beta-version of Overbridge
Each contestant may submit one (1) video only. We recommend that you record the video using screen grabbing software and not by filming the screen of your computer
The track/video length must be between 15 and 30 seconds
The video should depict the Overbridge VST/AU plugin interface and how the automated parameters/graphical elements move along to the music
All audio must come from only one (1) track of the Elektron machine
No post-production or editing of the video is allowed. The video must be recorded live and direct. No plug-ins or other means of affecting the audio are allowed. Also, except for normalizing no post-production of the audio track is allowed.
One winner and two runners-up will be selected by an Elektron jury
The decision of the jury is final

Submitting your track
Post the video to your Youtube/Vimeo or similar account.
Make a post in the submissions thread where you link to your video.

Winners
Three tracks will be nominated
If needed, the nominees will be contacted to verify that the rules have been followed (donā€™t throw away your DAW project or Elektron machine data when your video is done)
Of the three tracks, one will be selected as the overall winner. The prize is an Elektron machine of choice
The two runners-up each win an Overhub USB hub

Timeline
The deadline for submission is Thursday the 24th of September, 1PM CET (Your video must be posted in the submission thread before this time to be accepted. No exceptions.)
The winners will be announced on Friday the 2nd of October

A few clarifications:

You may only use one monophonic track on the Analog Four/Keys
Parameter automation must be done in the DAW, not in the machine sequencer
You may design your sound any way that you like. Start with a preset or with your own design
Samples on Analog Rytm is okay to use
You may ā€œeditā€ the video with fade in/fade out/trim in the start and end of the video
You may add video effects, if they donā€™t alter the Overbridge interface and the interface is still clearly visible on screen

You may not, however, edit the composition by jumping in time, the video has to depict 15-30 continuous seconds of sound/video.

If you want to use FX, you are only allowed to automate the track sends, you can set the FX page to any settings you like, but not automate it.

You can use locks in the Elektron sequencer as well, just remember that DAW automation is a vital part of the visual part of the challenge.

Plus above ā€œSure you canā€ answer to ā€œuse multiple samples on one track of RYTMā€ question.

Iā€™m not Elektron affiliated, but I would say automating Performance macros is OK. Now I found it way easier to automate directly within Ableton, there you are not limited to 48 parameters.
Maybe try this before doing something youā€™re not completely sure itā€™s legal :slight_smile:

Iā€™m quite sure you may play MIDI note patterns within the DAW, I donā€™t see any reason why you would notā€¦ At least it is not written you should not.

You can use multiple samples and automate sample selection, is there anything else thatā€™s unclear regarding samples? Let me know and I will clarify.

Yes you can

Recommended screen grabber for Windows 10? The OS supplied game dvr doesnā€™t work, unfortunately.

Also wondering thisā€¦ tried a few of the free ones but nothing is recording with a good enough framerate to really represent what Iā€™m doing.

Yeah, itā€™s a jungle of fishy adgware. Hopefully Elektron can recommend something that works.

Finding the whole challenge quite frustrating in general! Once I get over about 8 parameters automated in Bitwig the Rytm starts to get sluggish responding to midi, missing various quick changes etc. Sounds completely different every time I play back through. Unfortunately already used the Ableton trial so canā€™t use that as an optionā€¦

Got it sounding fairly good for one session, went to find a free screen recorder and trialled about 8 which were freaking useless or necessitated the creation of a user account on some horrible adware site.

Argh, I really liked the concept (and prize ;)) as wellā€¦

So, Ableton Live question for those who might know:

I want to automate oscillator coarse tune, where the range is -63 - +63.

Liveā€™s automation scale goes from 0.00 - 1.00, which means I get all kinds of in-between pitches since fine tune is also affected on the Analog Four to match those values.

Is there any way to have Live use values from 0-127 in the automation lane, so that only coarse tune is affected in a predictable manner?

Edit: help was just an #elektron IRC channel away. :slight_smile: Using a MIDI channel sending that info is the solution.

Hey @PES, would you mind developing a bit ?
I came across this kind of pb during the challenge, and I donā€™t really get the solution youā€™re talking aboutā€¦

So youā€™re not using Overbridge automation but CCs straight to the A4?

I was struggling with this myself, but decided to roll with it. Some combos between OSC1 & 2 were more detuned. Mmmmmā€¦ The Flavour of Fat!

For me it was a problem for the samples slot of the AR (1/120) that were in between Ableton increment (1/100).

Whatā€™s weird is that if I was capturing or even if the OB window was displayed, I could have different results :sob:

So iiuc, you would just add a MIDI track in Ableton and directly send MIDI CC signals to the right channelā€¦ Damn ! This technique could have saved me some tears :wink:

Iā€™m still waiting for the submission that spells out ā€œPick meā€ using different sample waveforms on the Rytm. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Damn, I wrote this all over the Ableton tracks, havenā€™t you seen already ??!?

Same thing here re automating the course tune, though Iā€™m quite enjoying finding the inbetween notes that sound good.

What exactly was the solution?