Science Lab Challenge, September 2015 [Main Thread]

Use the Elektron sequencer or the DAW sequencer or why not use both?

You can use locks in the Elektron sequencer as well, just remember that DAW automation is a vital part of the visual part of the challenge.

I also definitely like to use both.
Some automations can be controlled faster in the AR and certain can controlled better in the software.

It should finally show you how I like to use the AR with my D.A.W. and not a fake. :slight_smile:

Thank you for this awesome challenge!

I was wondering if its ok to automate a sample toggle from the library on the RYTM?

I was really hoping to partake in the next one of these challenges too because I was Elektron-less the first time around.[/quote]
    Weren’t you Elektron-less because you rage-quit using their gear and made a big announcement about doing so on this forum…only to come back to their gear a few months later?
    I was really hoping to partake in the next one of these challenges too because I was Elektron-less the first time around.[/quote]
    Weren’t you Elektron-less because you rage-quit using their gear and made a big announcement about doing so on this forum…only to come back to their gear a few months later?[/quote]
    I had a RYTM from when they were first released. I felt very uninspired by the analog drum sounds, and got frustrated with a lot of things, and decided to sell it (knowing very well the likelihood I would get one again). I picked one up again a little over a month ago because I was looking for a box to play back samples, and knew that I had under-utilized the sample playback feature of the RYTM. So here I am again, trying to appreciate the RYTM’s ability to manipulate samples through analog effects, etc. It’s proving to still be a bit frustrating without the ability to precisely choose the starting point of samples, along with the crappy experience every time I try to get samples into the RYTM. But overall, I’m happy to have a RYTM again. I also have an A4 this time as well. Listening to what people managed to produce with their RYTM’s during the last challenge was a big factor in my decision to get a RYTM again; so yeah, I’m a bit disappointed to not be participating this time around.

Ok, but you have a RYTM, so I don’t see how you are unable to participate, unless you don’t have a computer, or are unwilling to make a video…if it’s the latter, that’s a choice, not an obstacle that was put in your path by Elektron.

I don’t have a good camera with an audio in, and my “DAW” of choice (which I haven’t used in awhile) is Reason. These are obstacles for me.

Because of DAW incompatibility, the majority of owners can’t participate.

Because of DAW incompatibility, the majority of owners can’t participate.[/quote]
Since I don’t have an Overbridge equipped machine, I guess I hadn’t considered the fact that there are a lot of DAWs that don’t accept VSTs. I retract my previous statement.

frustrating challenge it is , mmm , got this problem any screen grab software keep seeing the elektron analog keys as main asio, but if I record or playback the screen no audio is being catched by the screen grab software? help :confused:

using together with:
ice cream free screen capture grabber software
reaper latest update (trial)
I used insert virtual instrument track (vsti analog keys 8 out)
got it all set. I hear the sound playing back the data to the analog keys (knobs twist) etc.
so have everything recorded in reaper (overbridge) and full screen capture video but no sound

what can I do to get this working? so I can get this done without throwing the computer out the window :imp:

A lot hype for this one, huh. lol

Download the Live free trial.
It is pretty straight forward to learn how to create clips and envelopes etc. which is all you really need for this challenge.
https://www.ableton.com/en/trial/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwms-vBRDlsM7utpaJ47ABEiQAIpKjTJjoe--kx70GRV6V5m22NTo7zFaDPAlfi807OQF20ZgaAnSE8P8HAQ
Or keep whining. Up to you really.

really into the idea for this challenge. good excuse to finally dive into the a4 i purchased a couple of months ago. wondering how important the video aspect is to the challenge. as in like, are you giving bonus points for cool effects/editing? or is it really jst for verification of automation?

will points be detracted if you’re using eval software with a watermark?

so far i haven’t been able to capture smooth video but i’m trying different software. frame rate has seemed just a tad choppy.

also looks like i’ll have to sync my audio in post but i’ll be able to provide a copy of my project so everything can be verified.

At first I was like, huh? But now I think this is a cool idea. What’s cool is it forces me out of my comfort zone - I know nothing about video or screen grabbing. But I’m smart enough to learn.

And I have to make a 30 second song with one track? Crazy. It’s like a commercial.

I’m assuming I can use as many patterns and Ableton clips as I want. Just as long as the song is produced on one track, correct?

I also empathize with those who have to go the extra step and learn a new DAW or don’t use computers. I imagine it’s how people who only use MNMs and A4/AKs felt during the first Science Lab.

Does elektronaut- and elektron-users without a computer actually exist?

I guess this is a good opportunity to see what that Live thing is all about. Downloaded.

Cool entries so far :slight_smile:

Posted my sub in wrong thread. Sorry!

Am i the only one? I tried to make something for this elektronauts contest where you need to to a 15-30 sec music with video of the automations of overbridge in a video. I work with analog four, overbridge and ableton. I try to use Automation in ableton to control my a4. First everything is ok. But when i try to automate like 10 or more different things ableton delete some of my automations. Anyone with the same problem?

Im about to sit down today and have a go at this with the RYTM. Just to clarify can we use multiple samples on one track in the RYTM?