Science Lab Challenge, February 2015

This was fun! I just bought my octatrack a few weeks ago and this helped me a lot to to learn about this awesome machine.

Here is my try: https://soundcloud.com/dinodelgadog/ot-dinodelgadog-spacecarnival-master

I`m just a beginner, all advices are welcome!

Thanks for the playlist, good idea!

Yeah ok, why not?

https://soundcloud.com/delyria/ar-delyria-pseudotimestretch-device/s-GTJdb

Cheers!

Wow awesome
[/quote]
Thank you!

[ol]
[li]The AR could use a second LFO.[/li]
[li]The AR should have a second LFO.[/li]
[li]THE AR MUST GET A SECOND LFO DAMMIT![/li]
[/ol]
[/quote]
:joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

What did I learnā€¦ Hmm. Mostly I learned that if my mixes are coming out extremely bass heavy on other speakers I might have enabled the 100Hz kill on my monitors just prior to my last move and last mixing session, doh!

I would like to know how some others are getting their mixes out of the OT so hot without clipping or external processing. I did use the compressor on track 8 master but felt like it flattened my mix too much if I pushed it too hard and as a result my entry is very quiet compared to a good number I have heard, but I am still peaking at -1 on my meters. Just for reference, not trying to spam my submission but if anyone wants to offer an opinion on what element might be sucking my headroom for gain in my track, I am all ears :slight_smile: https://soundcloud.com/naeco-rain/elektron-science-lab-ot-love I did do a check with a limiter on the track set to threshold -7.0 and it definitely seems to bring things together a lot nicer.

ā€¦wish i had seen this one earlier on :sob: ā€¦
thanks for taking the time to do this

You can achieve different drum sounds in a similar way you would create them with a synthesizer. Itā€™s just a different sound source. But the editing could follow the same techniques. So i would recommend watching tutorials about drum synthesis.
The synth type sounds could be created with a loop of a very small segment of the sample. Then use envelope, filter, lfo etc. and you can play it chromatically for melodies. There are many tutorials on youtube for handling single cycle waveforms in the octatrack.

Good A/D converters are the key for higher dynamic range :slight_smile: Or maybe just the master volume pushed up a little bit in the sequencer (which was not allowed I think) :imp:

Here is my contribution:

Good luck to all!

00:24

My heart jumped when I heard thatā€¦[/quote]
forgot about this! :smiley: weird isnā€™t it?

little teardrop comes down :disappointed:

Hereā€™s mine, https://soundcloud.com/daren-ager/octatrack-darenager-pursuits

Very good point. And still some people (me for sure) donā€™t have a clue on how some of the sounds were made, or how some tracks sound so good and loud. Months of experimenting and learning off the sysex that are going to be shared :slight_smile:

Have to agree, itā€™s a great competition!
Iā€™m really wondering how some of the sounds in the posted tracks were made.
I started creating a track on the OT, but the filters of the Analog Rytm convinced me to switch the device.

My track:

hellz yeia.

Good A/D converters are the key for higher dynamic range :slight_smile: Or maybe just the master volume pushed up a little bit in the sequencer (which was not allowed I think) :imp: [/quote]
The A/Ds in my sound card saturate just under 2/3 of max signal out of the AR. :frowning:

I noticed something like that too. U mean when two sounds just about choke each other and u get a distorted accent or something like that?

Thatā€™s awesome! Iā€™d definitely like to have a look at how MD tracks such as this are made, Iā€™ve always struggled with tuning by retrig timing values when attempting to make melodic passages.[/quote]
Thanks! Iā€™d be happy to send you the sysex if you wanted to check it out.

Yeah, very almost primitive in the process of getting melodic material out of something like this. Itā€™s many cents flat from real pitch as is, but mostly in tune with itself. Constant tweaking of retrig values and times as well as sample start and end points. Kind of cool to go through the process.

This amazing process has left me with a serious jones for the AR though. I havenā€™t even looked at its product page yet because I canā€™t afford it, but it seems to have better control over pitch. And the reverb is amazingā€¦

Somehow that link doesnĀ“t work. Can you check it please?
Cheers! :slight_smile:

Phaelamā€¦ Does this help you?

There is still many linked tracks that is not playlistable.